Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Source/Freeware Budget USB DAC

Hi, Looking great!!

Did you use eagle for the schematic by chance?

I only ask because I have eagle and I would like to build a board and follow along with you guys. I have all of the pic junk also.

" 5) DMX512 Input (If possible)" LOL Thanks!

I have had some dmx laser head accessory stuff on the drawing board for a while..

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi, Looking great!!

Did you use eagle for the schematic by chance?

I only ask because I have eagle and I would like to build a board and follow along with you guys. I have all of the pic junk also.

" 5) DMX512 Input (If possible)" LOL Thanks!

I have had some dmx laser head accessory stuff on the drawing board for a while..

chad
    Hi Chad,

Thanks....I used Orcad to capture the schematic.

As for the DMX512 input, I am hoping there is going to be enough code space for DMX512 comms (In and Out).

Cheers
    Paul

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default since your looking for galvos,

3 reccomendations:
    in no particular order.

assuming you dont want to go broke with world class cambridges:

SCANCO30s
    a pair is here from the distributer, Dave in OZ, hes a member here so you can work out things directly if ebay is not your thing
    ebay #
    You might say I'm a little biased since I won a pair at FLEM.

DT40s by Jian in China also have a strong reputation and I have seen nice test patterns and graphics at FLEM.
    Jian is also a member.

Eye Magics from New Method Lasers in Florida are great too, and are awesome for tight graphics. I have used two pairs of them for like 3 years now. Fred hangs out here too.

Steve Roberts

For 30K scanners I recommend contacting Darry at laserpic ( www.laserpic.com ) to see what he can do for you.

Are there any schematics on the thread? I'm looking for an output stage to convert my 0-5v DAC output to the full -/+ 5v differential needed to run galvo amps.

Quick question - if my galvo has a floating ground, and my DAC has a ground at -10v to my galvo, how would I deal with this?

Get a better PSU??

Steve

EDIT:

Just found the schematics - will an SSM2142 do the conversion for me? As far as I can tell the output from the MCP4822 is 0-5v just like my DAC...

Quote Originally Posted by shobley View Post
    Are there any schematics on the thread? I'm looking for an output stage to convert my 0-5v DAC output to the full -/+ 5v differential needed to run galvo amps.

Quick question - if my galvo has a floating ground, and my DAC has a ground at -10v to my galvo, how would I deal with this?

Get a better PSU??

Steve

EDIT:

Just found the schematics - will an SSM2142 do the conversion for me? As far as I can tell the output from the MCP4822 is 0-5v just like my DAC...
    Hi shobley,

I have just finished getting the first part of the embedded code working for this USBDAC working, I did some measurements and the SSM2142 provides a differential output, with the MCP4822 loaded with a value of 0xFFF (full output - 12bit) the SSM2142 has an output of approx. 9Vp-p, the outputs did vary slightly between the X,Y,R,G and B outputs (approx. 0.05 - 0.09V). The MCP4822 at full output is just over 4V not 5V. These reading were taken with the SSM2142 driving into my Fluke multimeter (high impedance) - no scanner input load.

I need to know from the guru's on here, what is the maximum a scanner amp/analog modulation input can handle? Is 9Vp-p to much?

I have a working embedded frame-work working - I will post it in a couple of days. I just need to clean up the code a bit and also include some comments.

At the moment the USBDAC is completely under PC control - no buffering. All I have to test with at the moment is a demo GUI I knocked together quickerly with some sliders on (one for each MCP4822 output), the updating of the DAC values is in a 1mS timer. The responce seems good. I will need some help with displaying a full frame to test this DAC properly.

I will provide all source files for embedded code, bootloader (PC and embedded) and my simple DAC channel tester as well as the API.

Cheers
    Paul

Good to know - so just so I understand this correctly, when you load the DAC with 0 - do you get -9v differential, or just 0v?

...or is there another stage to convert the output from a DC to AC waveform?

Differential scanner amps want +-10v which means +-5v & -+5v simultaneously on the differential outputs.

Single ended ones just want +-5v w/ respect to ground.

So.....

Is that what it does?

Quote Originally Posted by shobley View Post
    Good to know - so just so I understand this correctly, when you load the DAC with 0 - do you get -9v differential, or just 0v?

...or is there another stage to convert the output from a DC to AC waveform?
    Hi,

When 0V is applied to the input SSM2142 it outputs 0V and as the input increases you get a positive voltage on pin7/8 (these need to be shorted together) and the same value but negative voltage on pin1/2 (these also need to be short together). These are readings are with respect to GND/0V.

eg: 1V input - pin1/2 -1V, pin7/8 +1V (2Vp-p) output.

Don't forget the 100nF capacitors as close to pin5 and pin6 these are critical. I did a test without these connected and the noise level was huge.

Cheers
    Paul