Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply Problem!!!

Exclamation Power Supply Problem!!!

Well, I just got my ILT laser in today, I hooked it up as shown in the picture and plugged in the power supply, The fans turned on, when I turned the switch, there was a spark the power supply and a tiny bit of smoke. I think it came from one of large capacitors. I would venture to guess that this is a problem and is not normal?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Yea, I'm afraid so.

All electronic components require magic blue smoke to operate, and you appear to have let yours get out of the power supply.

If it was just the capacitor, theoretically you could put in a new one (that still contains it's smoke), but more than likely one of the other components failed, causing an overvoltage that fried the cap.

Yep, I looked at the other components and I didn't see anything with any burn marks or with exploded tops(IC's). I can't seem to figure out exactly where the spark came from. It was for sure on the board with the capacitors which only contains 2 large resistors and 2 large capacitors.
    CLICKY!!!

I had an ITL about 2 years ago. Before you replace the cap make sure that there is no voltage setting between 220 and 110. I am pretty sure there isnt but something in the back of my head says there was something to that affect. If there is, it could have been bumped into the 220 spot in shipping

There's no switch as far as I can tell. On the front, there is a interface, head, and interlock connections, a fuse which is good, and the key.
    CLICKY!!!

Damn, sorry to hear about this. I doubt it was a cap though, you would notice a problem with the cap if thats where the smoke came from. I use to have 2 of those supplies several years ago for a pair of 5490's. What happens if you plug it in and turn it on now? It may have blown a set of FET's, you may have to dig out an ohm meter and do some checking. I may have a schematic around somewhere, I'll have to do some digging, it probably will be easy to fix. Did you get any light out of the head?

Well, It was for sure coming from the Cap board, tomorrow I'll open it up and see what I can find.
    CLICKY!!!

Unhappy

Damn, sorry to hear that. I wanted to see some pics of it in action. Good luck on the fix.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yeah, I was excited too! Just up till the point where there was a spark and smoke. That typically is not healthy!
    CLICKY!!!

have you looked at the bottom of the board yet? It could be a short downstream fried a trace on the capacitor board.