Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting a cheap RGV build

Default Starting a cheap RGV build

Im new to laser projectors, but I have made an lcd projector. Im looking to spend about $300 on all parts.

$50 150mW violet from ebay
    $50 200mW green from dx
    and what mW red would be recommended
    dichros from ebay maybe
    $20 dx dac
    $40 I think I need this too: laserboy correction amp
    $140 20k scanners from ebay

Questions:
    How to do blanking with these lasers since they dont have that built in. Id like to do analog blanking so I have more color possibilities.
    Do I need any other parts?
    Will these 20k scanners be able to do some graphics?
    Is there a cheaper method than this that actually produces
    I have a crappy 50mW green from amazon, but I dont think it is barely 20mW. If I used this would it look really dim once it is scanning?

hi

sorry but with those figures u wont be able to get anywhere near white light

those 200 mw green modules wil not do anything near 200 mw real output
    also violet is not realy sutable for any laser projector even at 250 mw + the beam is stil prety hard to see even with smoke
    Do not look into laser with remaining eye
    Need laser repair contact me !!!!!!

Lightbulb

I'd go with a 200mW 660 and as much as you can get out of a 6x blu-ray with a 50mW green. You can probably get a big dipper greeny head for cheap off eBay, and then get a flexmod for each to get your analog modulation. If you can afford to get one of the 640nm reds then you can get away with much less power for your red, but I doubt you're gonna want to go over 50mW with 200 or so mW of blu-ray.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12d View Post
    ..... Im looking to spend about $300 on all parts...
    Welcome to the wondeful world of lasers.
    Stick another nought on the end of that figure and you'll get the projector you have in your mind.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Your BluRay auction link says: "Max Current : ~110mA(recommand)" which, I think gives you closer to 100mw of 405nm. Given that, something like this should work (if you're looking for something approaching white):

100mw 405
    25mw 532
    100mw 660 or 60mw 650

Personally, I think 660 is a much nicer color than 650.

Don't forget to heat sink your diodes.

Im new to laser projectors, but I have made an lcd projector. Im looking to spend about $300 on all parts.

$50 150mW violet from ebay
    $50 200mW green from dx
    and what mW red would be recommended
    dichros from ebay maybe
    $20 dx dac
    $40 I think I need this too: laserboy correction amp
    $140 20k scanners from ebay

Questions:
    How to do blanking with these lasers since they dont have that built in. Id like to do analog blanking so I have more color possibilities.
    Do I need any other parts?
    Will these 20k scanners be able to do some graphics?
    Is there a cheaper method than this that actually produces
    I have a crappy 50mW green from amazon, but I dont think it is barely 20mW. If I used this would it look really dim once it is scanning?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Okey, if you would like to go for a budget blue/violett.
    I recommend you to get more than just a 100mW, you can hardly see it on a wall just a few meters away (in a totaly dark room). If I were you (actually I will build this myself later with 4 or 5 of diodes), I would get more 405nm and use mirrors knife edge.

Here's a link but there's more info here at the forum, search for knife edge:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...e+edge+mirrors

I think you're on the right track, maybe because I will do the same.
    Here's my spec.:
    300mW, 650nm
    50mW, 532nm
    500mW, 405nm

Good luck mate!
    / Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by ledfreak3d View Post
    also violet is not realy sutable for any laser projector even at 250 mw + the beam is stil prety hard to see even with smoke
    Have you build a RGV projector?

If you had been on the HaarLEM you could see how beautiful (and small) a RGV projector can be.

Maybe the Blue only beam is hard to see, but you can get a beautiful white.

So for a RGV projectory it will definitely work!

I think its useless to try and get your bluray beam as visible as your red or green, you need big powers so forget this.

But you can use bluray to get white and other nice colors in you RGV.

I would say use 50mW green, 200mw red and 200me bluray for a nice balance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RGV.JPG  

Thanks for all the replys. The flexmod is just what I was looking for. Will that work as a driver? Or do I still need a current regulator on the laser (the bluray ones can be bought with or w/o driver and im not sure if the dx ones have a driver... im very cheap but I dont what a crappy projector)

I just saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/480mW-RGB-ilda-c...d=p3286.c0.m14
    In the pictures the blue looks way more blue then I would expect from a bluray diode, do they really look this good? Do they make dichros for 405nm? Or does using a standard dichro filter out some of the violet (making it dimmer)?

I would get more 405nm and use mirrors knife edge.
    Thanks for the knife edge idea, but i dont know if im capable of being that precise and multiple lasers cost more $$$.

Stick another nought on the end of that figure and you'll get the projector you have in your mind.
    Im a college student, so even $300 is a stretch

You can probably get a big dipper greeny head for cheap off eBay,
    I searched big dipper on ebay and couldnt find anything

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

BluRay is not blue. It's actually deep purple. Think of the color of blacklights.

It is weird and visually very striking and I have a section of my garage wall painted in glow paint and it's a lot of fun to draw on it with a bluray diode.

Thanks for all the replys. The flexmod is just what I was looking for. Will that work as a driver? Or do I still need a current regulator on the laser (the bluray ones can be bought with or w/o driver and im not sure if the dx ones have a driver... im very cheap but I dont what a crappy projector)

I just saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/480mW-RGB-ilda-c...d=p3286.c0.m14
    In the pictures the blue looks way more blue then I would expect from a bluray diode, do they really look this good? Do they make dichros for 405nm? Or does using a standard dichro filter out some of the violet (making it dimmer)?

Thanks for the knife edge idea, but i dont know if im capable of being that precise and multiple lasers cost more $$$.

Im a college student, so even $300 is a stretch

I searched big dipper on ebay and couldnt find anything
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.