Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More off topic astronomy junk

When waz this footage taken?? It's fuckin awesome. It looked like it landed to me..maybe in several pieces.

Well despite it pissing it down early this evening lo and behold the skies cleared tonight and despite the very near and bright moon comet Holmes was very easy to spot. Had a good look through the telescope and it looks brilliant.
    Here is a photo taken with my tripod mounted camera - ie not through the telescope and hence the movement (15 second exposure).

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails holmes.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Nice shot Rob! I like the halo around the necleus, I wonder why this comet doesn't have a tail. I read something about it being more condense, but I wonder why. It was still cloudy back home in Jax, but I'm now in Atlanta where its perfectly clear. Guess I should have checked the weather, I could have brought some equipment with me...
    Last edited by DZ; 10-28-2007 at 19:11.

Im no expert on anything astronomical so I really dont know about the lack of tail. As for equipment even without any you should easily be able to spot it - it took me aout 10 seconds to identify. See if you can borrow some binoculars as Im sure you will see how cool it is even with them.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

That's a good looking spot.

It is too. Didn't think it would be that clear. Unlike my namesake I don't even know where Perseus is without looking it up. To be fair, if it had been Cygnus... Wrong time of year for that one though.

Edit: Saw it. I have this nasty little monocular... It was good enough though, I saw a small blurry smudge between Taurus and Casseiopea. Didn't even have to look hard. I thought of trying to aim a Canon A40 through it but even if I could hold it steady enough the monocular won't gather enough light for a fast shot. I'm in a city centre, without the monocular I couldn't even make out all the main stars in Taurus, and the big tree in the yard doesn't help either.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 10-29-2007 at 18:15.

^ So are you named after Dr Who? I watched that show (the current version) the other night. haha. Still as cheesy as the original. I loved the ones with Tom Baker, though.

Yep. The amusing sarky one in my avatar is a recent discovery, but Tom Baker's Doctor and the ones before him were my inspiration. I rarely saw them though, I only had the books, mainly, from a library, and a few paperbacks bought. Some good writing in some of those too, but some of the others were as cheezy as it gets. I miss the all-electronic score in the shows, too much orchestra in the new ones. I like orchestras, but there are limits, they splash it on like cheap paint, and that sucks.