Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More off topic astronomy junk

Default More off topic astronomy junk

I thought this was an amazing video. Its neat to see a meteor, but imagine seeing one like this in broad daylight!?! Glad several folks were around with cameras to see it. Not sure what the news reporter is saying, maybe someone can translate? http://dnevnik.hr/bin/article.php?ar...ow_media=61602

Also, there is a comet in Perseus that has surged from about mag 17 to mag 2.8 and is visible to the nake eye. No tail though, but it is still pretty neat!

DZ if the bastard clouds here ever subside i will try and tak a peek at that there comet.

Awesome footage that vid - and i wish i knew what they were babbling about

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    DZ if the bastard clouds here ever subside i will try and tak a peek at that there comet.

Awesome footage that vid - and i wish i knew what they were babbling about

Rob
    Same here, been cloudy for 2 days now... I wonder if they recovered anything, something that big either skipped back out into space or landed somewhere.

yeah that occured to me - gotta be lumps of that landing - wouldnt mind getting my hands on that!
    Despite it being in Croatia Im amazed that this is the first Ive heard of this - its amazing what does and does not get in the news. It probably was gonna run on the BBC until Victora Beckham bought a new pair of shoes....

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

yeah that occured to me - gotta be lumps of that landing - wouldnt mind getting my hands on that!
    Despite it being in Croatia Im amazed that this is the first Ive heard of this - its amazing what does and does not get in the news. It probably was gonna run on the BBC until Victora Beckham bought a new pair of shoes....
    Ha Ha! I don't know who that is, but I get the jest of what your saying. Over here, any time a celebrity goes to the rest room, you can bet we are all in the know....

I remember there being a video of something similar, back from the '70s I think. If I'm not mistaken it was seen in Hawaii and the west coast of the US. It ended up never landing on earth and instead just skipping right back out into space. I think it was something the size of a small car I believe. Looking at the date of the video for this one, looks like it may have happened back in July of this year.

Cool

Yeah, whether we want to know or not. (I remember when Paris Hilton got sent to jail... It was on every damn TV channel! WTFBBQ?)

It would be interesting to find out what happened to that thing though. If it hit the earth you'd think there would have been another news story; as big as it was it surely would have left a mark! (Or worse, fractured and exploded prior to impact, which would also be newsworthy.) I'm thinking that you're right, DZ - it probably skipped off the atmosphere and back into space again.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Ha Ha! I don't know who that is
    God I wish I could say that!

Yep I did clock the date - certainly heard not even a sniff of this anywhere

Rob

Or worse, fractured and exploded prior to impact
    In the last few seconds of the video it does appear to explode and seperate into two pieces. I'd really like to know how big it was. It doesn't take a very big object to create a crater similar to the one in Arizona...

Cool

Heh! Just googled it to satisfy my own curiosity. Would you believe a hunk of iron just 160 feet in diameter carved that crater? (nearly 4/5 of a mile across and 570 ft deep - that's a big hole!)

One of these days I need to get my ass out there and see it for myself. That, and the Trinity test site. (Fred's already been there - lucky bastard!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    until Victora Beckham bought a new pair of shoes....
    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Ha Ha! I don't know who that is
    So true Rob...

For anyone that hasn't heard of her, she's the talentless mutt that looks like she's taking a shit when she smiles.

But I wouldn't mind a small percentage of her savings