Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: high-power violet scanning a glow-paint wall?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    yes, I understand. I'm looking forward to prices dropping on the burners as well.
    I have a material that changes from white to blue under a uv laser beam. Persisntance is long, on the order of 15 seconds. Daylight laser shows.
    tested it with a UV hecad about 3 years ago,.

Steve

Wouldn't this effect work with any kind of laser - does the paint only react to the blu-ray band?

Quote Originally Posted by shobley View Post
    Wouldn't this effect work with any kind of laser - does the paint only react to the blu-ray band?
    the blue and violet lasers have a higher photon energy, so they illuminate fluorescent materials a lot better. Typically, a flourescent material must be excited with a shorter wavelength than it glows at. You will have a difficult time finding a material that reacts visibly to red lasers, because it would glow in the infrared spectrum. There are materials that will glow red when excited with a green laser. The materials that flouresce green to a blue/violet laser are the most striking because of eye sensitivity and the apparent high strength of response to strength of illumination.

Right, but if you are using glow in the dark paint almost any laser would work, i know 532nm charges green glow paint pretty well.