Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's something for us mad scientists...

Thumbs down

The difference is that 100 years ago there was sound theoretical physics that suggested lasers were possible. It just took the engineers another 50 years or so to perfect the process. (the Maser came first, remember) But Einstein was thinking about population inversions and stimulated emission back around the turn of the century.

On the other hand, the purveyors of today's "new age" science projects do not normally draw upon the vast body of established science. Instead, they frequently reject modern science and draw up wholly new paradigms of physical laws to explain their inventions. I'm sorry, but before you throw out Newton, Einstein, and the laws of thermodynamics, you'd better have some damn convincing proof. (As the late Carl Sagan was wont to say, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.")

I salute the folks that have the spare time to rigorously debunk these ideas in their basements. I, however, do not have the time to attempt to recreate every crackpot experiment that pops up on the Internet. (Ponds and Fleishman, anyone? Anyone? Buehler?)

Bottom line: In today's society, any of the supposed "breakthroughs" in anti-gravity, zero point energy, psychokenesis, or (insert your fringe technology here) would be worth hundreds of millions, if not billions. Nobody could suppress the knowledge - no government or industrial conspiracy could contain it. (Hell, companies spy on each other and spend hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D just to increase the efficiency of their products by a few percent. Even a relatively small jump - like a 10 percent improvement - is considered a *huge* leap forward these days.) So if these crackpots were really onto something, they would have long ago been bought out by corporate america and would be living large on some private island in the caribbean, while we were tooling around in our new flying cars with patented anti-gravity lifting motors...

Adam (Yeah, I'm a skeptic. It's a virtue in my book.)

Well, I tried...

What this threads intention was...to get The_kcar (Maxy) Talking more on the forum.
    She is a great believer in get up off your ass and try to make this country better and is always out trying to save the world as best she can. only to find out how hard it is.
    She had been hounding me on alternative energy like Biodiesel and the like ..so.
    When these topics showed up on the Science Channel, programs and topics which she was unfamiliar with , she came to me for answers ...
    I dont have any and have seen these claims before, even as probable as some of it may seem , there are some truths. However.
    I dont have the time to explain everything or am allowed to explain some of the bazzare things I have witnessed in my life so I can only leave it at that and told her she needs to find out on her own.
    We often get in heated discussions in things she believes are true when they are not and vise-versa.
    One of her pet peeves are Polytricks which I will not get involved with and is avoided even on here.

One thing I can say is that , As far as anti-gravity experiments are concerned. I have witness very large objects with great manuverability, they can be found on the internet..
    The foil lifter is the very elementary start. altho not really antigravity, it became more of a thruster meaning it goes in one direction, mainly for propulsion.
    Think about how the newer aircraft are able to fly so well thru the atmosphere.. altho not as elaborite..some of it is there. It started with the Ionocraft. a kindof ion generator (not the household kind) powered aircraft, This has progressed to the active ion plasma generator (not the lightning deterant) more like an electrostatic generator.
    Its because of these type of experiments that have helped technology progress. We need more of it.

Yes, I to am very skeptical about unordinary claims..they have to be proven obviously.
    But, there are some things out there not fit for consumption.
    Then again , for discussion on a laser forum., Like I said ..was trying to get Max more involved.
    Last edited by marconi; 10-31-2007 at 14:52. Reason: trying to type while eating a dripping with grease pizza
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

It you put bio-diesel in your tank, your exhaust will smell like french-fries
    This is the Lounge.. not just lasers.. according to the Originator; Spec:
    "The Lounge VERY loosely moderated forum for discussion of anything and everything."
    Glad you're back Maxy

Hehe, yeah I can Imagine sitting behind a car in traffic using this stuff.,
    Will it make me hungry for not eating in a while?
    I can see this being used to make people eat or worse yet, made into one of those commercials we all hate.
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

How's the Transmitter Chuck?

Dunno, I have not been by it in months..
    I did talk to the boss and he says all is well...But I am missed.
    I get to see it on the 16th when I go back to work...
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Quote Originally Posted by the_kcar View Post
    Have to say, though - sure, we're a weebit long in the tooth to actively persue the research and do the basement experimentation thing;however, I also think that the college kids would most certainly benefit from picking up where the others left off, and working on their own models to use, sell, trade, and pass along --not the Get Rich Fast/Fame and Fortune thing but the Slow Building Trend/ Change the Way Things are Done thing.

Just sayin'...

Meanwhile, if you do a weebit of research, you'll find that the CIA is highly interested in aspects of psychokenesis. For all the belief/nonbelief expressed...
    Weebit... /me makes off with what has to be the finest new word I've learned since I discovered the word 'thinger'. And hopes I'm not due to pay royalties, that could get expensive...

Psychokinesis... do dreams of flying by thinking about it count? I have those, last night's was awesome. Scary though, I got vertigo and scared of falling if I forgot how once I'd got past roof and tree height. That and the dream morphing with a Rage outbreak from 28 weeks later did NOT help either.

And I'm all for the slow building. It's the only way to be thorough. Machines might go faster now, but we don't.

I too have dreams of flying. It takes immense consentration .. and then.. I' am airborne-- it's unreal-- waking up is a downer tho -no pun int'd- but it sure is fun while it lasts..

Weird, it can be a let down. But usually it's kind of exciting even aftewards. I don't even know how we have the capacity to imagine it yet alone visualise it so coherently. They are amongst my most vivid dreams of all. I agree, the concentration is important. With me it's slightly different though, I find it happening naturally in the dream, usually extends out of walking or other fluent motion, and the trick is not to concentrate in ways that bring it down. The dream is as vivid as real life whenever it happens, colours, sounds, clear and fixed locations like in a movie, smells even, and touch. That's the point where concentration is needed, it feels real, but if I tell myself in the dream that it therefore cannot be real because no such levitation is possible in real life, I fall. It's usually gentle, and proportional to the ability to suspend disbelief. The scare is the idea that something could shock me to the point where it is not onlu impossible to continue a rise, or even direct the descent, but to avoid a fall. I think it happens but I usually just wake up suddenly if that happens.

Not that any of this has even a weebit to do with physics, as I understand it...

Well, with me I'm just standing there, visualizing being even 1 foot off the ground would be nice, and I concentrate real hard and visualise myself lifting off of the ground .. and .. it's like gravity is released from me and.,,.well it just happens.. I'm up in the air and above the trees..
    for a lil while.. until i wake up.. usually doesnt last for long.. but sure is cool.. havent had one in a while tho.. probably a few couple or more of months tho..wish they would come back..My wife had lil giggly lites flowing thru her laughing..the sme thing that makes the crop circles y'know