Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool Tower Laser UK

Default Blackpool Tower Laser UK

on the TV news this morning here in the UK they anounced that tonight at 18:30 , ( well in about an hours time ) would have the biggest Laser in the world beaming from the top

Now strangley last night at 23:00 whilst whist dropping our staff home, i saw them testing it as i drove through Blackpool .... now it looked like a couple of watts at the most, but it maybe they had it turned down a bit for testing ..... but i certainly was not impressed

now the picture in the artical looks nothing like what i saw

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/7048394.stm

but i will go and check it out

all the best ... Karl

Part of the text reads...

A laser that will be visible from 30 miles (48km) away is to be beamed from Blackpool's most famous landmark.

Won't that be within the range of a few airports - I wonder if they've got clearance from the CAA ?

I'd love to see the paperwork

Jem

Hi Jem ...

Blackpool airport is only about 2 miles away from the tower

I guess they just ask all pilots to close their eyes during takeoff

I think that Laser inovations may be doing the show as they did it last time, and they also now manufacture a 40W YAG ( 10W CW )

see here http://www.laser-innovations.co.uk/news/gallery1.shtml

although those photos were taken at the top of the tower quite a few years ago

all the best .. Karl

Hi Karl and Jeremy,

The laser the Blackpool Illuminations are using is a single Excalibur 35W Q-CW laser, being fed into a four direction beam table at the top of the tower.

CAA notification probably is not a big issue, the beams are going in a known direction and at a set time every evening.

When I was involved with the Meridian Line laser installation at Greenwich Observatory, the laser installed crossed very close to the end of the runway of the London City Airport. But it was never a problem as they knew what was happening (and in that case it was very easy as it was a fixed beam). In fact the airport used to get worried when it was not working.

Cheers,

James

I would think it would still be a problem for pilots of light aircrafts, there are loads of them in the NW, I don't think that they stick to timetables so they may be affected.
    My uncle also has an helicopter which he flies from his home in Wrightington which would be well within the range of the laser, I wonder if there are any stipulations on when he can fly while the laser is on?

Jim

didnt fluff aka mark say he had some involvement in this project??
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

They're going to need a big fog machine.

ahhhhh Gary ...

you must remember this is England ....

well known worldwide for its Mist and Fog

James .... have you been involved with the install etc ...

id love to go and have a look while its running

all the best ... Karl

10 mins a night - dont blink or you will miss it!
    I remember 20 years ago when the lasers at Blackpool ran all night every night all through the lights and you could often see the beams from my home in Liverpool. Getting out near southport on a dark night there were pretty damn fine beams to be seen.
    Cant remember any planes being shot down in those days

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

but that was before Easyjet were at lennon airport, and they only had 2 flights a day

karl