Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GB Custom Laser Barrels

Default GB Custom Laser Barrels

I've talked with a manufacturing company to have my own custom laser barrels made. I'm now looking to see how interested folks are going to be in purchasing a premade ready to go laser host that won't require any modification to it. Slap in the diode, driver circuit and go. I will also provide a laser driver circuit along with the host but since so many people are wanting so many different things in circuits I'm offering a few options for this. Like for bluray lasers I will offer a option for a driver that will put out 45ma at the required 5v. and for Senkats 650nm diodes I will offer a driver that puts out 200ma- 300ma off 3v - 6v. I've gotten estimates back from the manufacturing company on how much it's going to cost for these things to be made and I'm seeing if it's financially possible for me to make these and who would be interested.

The host incorporates the following things.
    Barrel for batteries either 2AA's or 2 14500's 3.6v rechargables.

Module incorporated into the head out of a solid peice of aluminum optics screw right in just like the aixiz module. The advantage of this is you have a large mass of metal for heatsinking and press fitting the diode right into the head makes for less peices.

clicky tail cap.

all aluminum costruction

Now I don't have a picture or a cadd drawing of the barrels yet as that would cost me money to have that made up. I've told the company that this is dependant on interest on the forum and how many I figure I can sell. They would do an initial run of 100 for me .

The barrels will look like a Sonar case on http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/SONAR_Blu_ray_Case-58-11.html
    the one exception being there won't be any indents on the barrel. the barrel is totally smooth and finished smooth and shiny. Another light that is similair in design to the barrels (and is actually what I'm using as a kind of model) is the Dorcy flashlight here : http://dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414255
    The outside Diameter is roughly 25mm and the length is roughly 200mm. The head unscrews and in the inside diameter is a Hole for mounting the diode Top section of the barrel is just a hole with threads for the optics to screw in. (traditional Aixiz optics holder) Tail cap unscrews with a clicky installed and a rubber boot.

Initial cost to have then run per unit is roughly $30. If I have a run of 100 that will be $3,000 with a minor fee for running the designs into cadd so they can be cnc'd. I will have these run as soon as we sell 60 of them. (I'll take on the rest of the cost)

Up above you can see the benefits of having one of these barrels. It increases duty cycle of the laser diode so heat is no longer an issue and we don't have to make up aluminum spacers for heatsinks or get creative to find heatsinks for the modules. Merging the head and the module means no bad fits. Plus these things will look SHARP! they incorporate the module and lens so you don't have to buy that, they include the tailcap clicky so you don't have to buy that. The batteries are readily available and because of Senkats commitment to providing us with Laser diodes we will always have access to those.

Give a chime out for those that are interested. I'd like to say that I can take on the expense of this whole thing and just retail them but I'm not in any place right now to finance this. So we need to get all 100 paid for in advance of the run. However I was told that as soon as payment was made the run should only take a week or two. From there it's a matter of shipping them out.

I havn't located drivers yet for these but I am still working on a nice design like the one's found here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3160
    I will be using these for the 14500's. You can of course incorporate your own driver as there is lots of room in the top of the head for it.

I wanna see this come to reality guys. These units are SWEET! and it beats $40 plus shipping for a sonar case and will work with any 5.6mm diode.

When indicating interest please specify if you would like to see 2 AA style or 2Cr123 style. I can change the design but only if there is enough interest in a specific style.

Interest so far.

SenKat LPF - 5
    Greenie LPF - 5
    High Octane LPF -

Thumbs up

Hey Kenom, nice to see you over here. Have you swung this over to CPF yet? Have you looked into the die4driver? I'm not sure if I have any interest; I've only soldered a half dozen items in my life. Although if you have an option where all one has to do is insert a diode I may try a few of the blueys out there for shits and grins as a small Christmas present for myself. You gonna make em as shiny as the WLs?

For anyone worried about group buy from a "n00b" with only 2 post, I know Kenom as fairly active over at CPF and would vouch for him if needed.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Am not familiar with the die4driver. Link? I suppose I could search if it's on this forum. I'm looking into drivers right now and have one for the red laser diodes that SenKat offers. However Bluray diode drivers are very hard to find in a premade package. I'm looking for 100 of em so it's not a simple thing. Preciate teh vouch there allthatwhichis. I'm extremely active on LPF and Hemlock mike and anybody from there can vouch for me as well.

Lightbulb

Here is the die4driver. I'm not sure what he can provide. He is a member here but only pops in on occation. I have one and actually got it working, but I think I was messing around and hooked the power leads backwards and killed my diode. Everybody else has had very good reults with them. I also can't comment on if they will work with a 405 either.

so can i just confirm, the casing will hold 2x AA batteries? and it will convert 3v to 4.5-5v to run a blu-ray diode???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    so can i just confirm, the casing will hold 2x AA batteries? and it will convert 3v to 4.5-5v to run a blu-ray diode???
    Eventually it will incorporate a bluray driver although probably not of 2AA batteries but 2 14500's.

Interested
    High Octane
    SenKat lpf - 5
    Greenie lpf - 1
    Archane lpf - 3
    K-9 lpf - 1
    Scog lpf - 2
    Gazoo lpf - 1
    BlueFusion lpf - 1
    kdubbz lpf - 2
    wvaltakis2 CPF - 2
    Shilood lpf - 3
    DoughDTD lpf - 1
    xarylx lpf - 2
    pocketfluff lpf - 1
    CRFultz lpf - 2

Total = 27
    Last edited by Kenom; 10-31-2007 at 05:36.

ok ill pass then thanks
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hmmm- pointers?........................lol

New updates on this GB. The laser barrel is not going to incorporate AA' shaped or sized batteries but will house 2 CR123's and the driver is included.

Update on who's interested
    Interested
    High Octane lpf - 1
    SenKat lpf - 5
    Greenie lpf - 1
    Archane lpf - 3
    K-9 lpf - 1
    Scog lpf - 2
    Gazoo lpf - 1
    BlueFusion lpf - 1
    kdubbz lpf - 2
    wvaltakis2 CPF - 2
    Shilood lpf - 3
    DoughDTD lpf - 1
    xarylx lpf - 2
    pocketfluff lpf - 1
    CRFultz lpf - 2
    Bionic-Badger lpf - 2
    Freyth lpf - 6
    jayrob lfp - 1
    COMMANDR CPF - 1
    KINGKONG CPF - 3
    kaeus - 1
    starfiretoo CPF - 1
    mrsinbad CPF - 2
    TOMTEC lpf - 2
    JES lpf - 2
    aaronX987 lpf - 1
    Jaeger lpf - 1
    future_prius CPF - 1

Total = 52 Almost to our total of 60 minimum!!!