Thread: which dichro filter or seperating mirror

Default which dichro filter or seperating mirror

wich dichro should i be using i think i brought the wrong one i brought a green color seperating dichro dont pass red very well what is the difference between a red dichro filter and a red dichro color seperating mirror
    help please

It depends on where you have your lasers placed. If you draw a diagram or explain it better I am sure we'll be able to help you!

-Max

Default which dichro

hi
    dont know how to post images ,but the red is pointing at the galvo mirrors
    about 3 inches away in between the red and galvos i have a green colour seperating mirror at 45 deg with the green at 90 deg to the galvos
    the trouble i have is to much red is being reflected off the back of the colour seperating mirror and is only passing about 60% red

Cool

Most people put the green laser first, since green photons are cheap compared to red. Then they use a pass-green, reflect red dichro to combine the two beams. Edmund Optics sells one for around $45 that works quite well. (Come to think of it, I think OneStopLaserShop.com sells one for even less...)

However, in your case you need a dichro that reflects green and passes red. I'm not sure that Edmunds sells one of those.

Do you have the specs for the color separating mirror that you did buy? If you look at them, my guess is that it's not really good at passing red - at least not the 660 nm red that you're using.

If you don't want to re-arrange your projector layout, my suggestion would be to contact Fred or Amanda at OneStopLaserShop.com and ask them if they have a dicrho that will pass red and reflect green. If you're lucky, they'll have on in stock that will work for you. Look for at least 96% efficiency on the reflect-green and 92% efficiency on the pass red.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    However, in your case you need a dichro that reflects green and passes red. I'm not sure that Edmunds sells one of those.

Adam
    I have an edmunds Dichro that passes red and reflects grreen - I have measured it to reflect about 3% red @647nm (same filter transmits about 1.8% @ 514nm)

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

Those are pretty good specs, Rob! Got a part number (or better yet, a link) to that dichro so Badger1666 can look into buying one? It sounds like exactly what he's looking for.

Adam

Default which dichro

brought one ,it just arrived today from edmunds in the uk

I got two Dichros from edmunds, one which bounces green and one to bounce blue. My Reds (mazxy X 2) I thought would be more powerfull than the 100 CNI green so I put the reds last.

What ever you Badger, don't get them out and start playing drafts with them as tempting as it may be....I got nasty finger prints all over mine and regret getting them out now....

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Those are pretty good specs, Rob! Got a part number (or better yet, a link) to that dichro so Badger1666 can look into buying one? It sounds like exactly what he's looking for.

Adam
    It looks like Im a little late for Badger but the info is still good.....
    Its an edmunds 45 degree Dichro @ 12.5mm and pn F47-265. I tell you what thay have gone up alot since i bought mine in April.
    I paid £26, the catalogue (2007/2008) I have now shows them @ £40 - thats a helluva jump!

But then again just looked em up on the web and .....still £26!

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...=2433&search=1

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I paid £26, the catalogue (2007/2008) I have now shows them @ £40 - thats a helluva jump!
    ... yet another case of our American cousins creating a UK catalogue by simply changing '$' to '£' ?? Makes good business sense if your customers don't mind paying inflated prices.......