Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 635 nm

Default 635 nm

Is there a good way of getting better beam stats than M^2 = <20 and Mrad <2 ? Anamorphic setup? Beam compression lenses, reverse telescope? Any coments or suggestions welcome. Beam is 5mm X 1mm. Very bright and strong. n I can afford to lose some power , but not much extra space to speak of at this time.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Not without tearing down the laser itself..
    then you've got some fun involved in finding the right combo of optics.
    Altho, I do believe that in order to use an anamorphic set, you will probably end up just trying to circulize the beam instead of just improving the fast angle. Your milage may vary...

As far as a telescope is concerned..remember whatever it helps in one way makes worse the other. Take a 5x telescope for example:
    If you improve the exit beam by 5x but it'l make the spot 5x worse and vise-versa.

Now you see why I dont play that game.. too expensive and the results arnt always all that great
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Sounds like the voice of experience. Seems like I read of a pre-circurlized diode somewhere.. probly pretty expensive tho...then you'd have to tame down the divergence as a whole?

Hey Chuck, when we gonna have a Jam session?
    Mike- You play any musical instruments?
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-01-2007 at 15:07. Reason: musical

Yes I do...got a house full of guitars....4 or 5 electrics, couple of acoustics. Korg digital sound generator, Boss drum machine, and a boomerang phrase sampler. One guy band of sorts. Used to play a lot years ago...mostly jazz-blues stuff though. We did some metal too....J Priest, The big M , G n' R , etc.
    Allways wanted a Paul Reed Smith...after playing one I will keep my Ibanez. I traded away a Les Paul I had...way too heavy for stage playing or horsing around.....weighed about 15 lds. ! Got too many amps....got rid of the stack...Peavey unit 250 watt head and 2 -4 X 12 cabs. Now I am into Steve Vai..Stevie R. V. , stuff like that.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

OH Man!! Stevie Vai --listen to him every day on the way home from work We gotta get us a session going
    With lasers all around -of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Is there a good way of getting better beam stats than M^2 = <20 and Mrad <2 ? Anamorphic setup? Beam compression lenses, reverse telescope? Any coments or suggestions welcome. Beam is 5mm X 1mm. Very bright and strong. n I can afford to lose some power , but not much extra space to speak of at this time.
    Unfortunately, the short answer is that if it was possible to re-profile a multimode laser beam to significantly reduce both diameter and divergence, one of the manufacturers would've done it already. Even if it cost 10x the price of a "fat beam" model, they would offer the option.
    Until there's a breakthrough in physics, the only real way of doing it is to combine several lower wavelength diodes to make a reasonable spec beam. There's some 80mW 642nm diodes floating about with decent enough characteristics, however the price to build one is very high and because if this I think 99% of people would just suffer the cheaper multimode 635nm and it's fat beam.

Exclamation

Just 218mw of it here.....if you look close you can see the beam coming into the pic. More basement pix to come.......something really nice is bound to come from all the lasers that are here......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2381.JPG  

oooh... what kind of guitar?!?!

Cool

My Ibanez Aria Pro 2. Peavey amp there too. Maybe trade up and get a nice Marshall 2 X 12 amp some day and get rid of all these ones that aren't used much. Or trade for lasers....

hm.
    secondary to none, the guitars and the lasers merge.. in a fantasy..fantasic ultrasoundic phathom of of music tunes and industrial sound evolution phiege ..
    unbelevable to the eyes and ears does the sound and the light cometh forth.. upp i digress.. K_car yup them lefties are good this year.. hehe