Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traceit Tips

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    What is everyone's opinion on metaphors during a show that coincide with key lyrics?
    It's gets to be boring after a bit. I much prefer to see ever changing patterns of colors and lights that engulf me and make me feel like I am suspended in an ocean of light. Normal animations are like watching cartoons and there is nothing special about that.

Cool

I like a good graphics show. If you can tell the story with your pictures, it's a great effect. Yeah, the graphics are cartoony - that's just the nature of the beast when you're dealing with vector art. (especially with a limited point count!) But sometimes less is more. (Ever watch any of the early schoolhouse rock animations? Some of those were quite minimalist as well, yet they still were great fun.)

Some examples of shows that really work well in my opinion are the "Elevation" show and the "Born to be Wild" show, both of which come with Pangolin. Another good one is "Children" (which uses the Robert Miles song by the same name.) Each of these shows manages to tell a story, and in the case of the first two, the story is different from the lyrics. Yet it all works.

Of course, a good beamshow is also a lot of fun to watch...

Adam

Those are great points- I especially like the "less is more" philosophy.
    I still think that a well timed graphic can add another dimension once in a while, especially when it is something unexpected. And, without a doubt, at all costs, try to avoid the dreaded "slide show" effect. That's one of the reasons I decided to pursue this hobby- I think I observed one too many slide shows and finally said, "move over and let me drive!".

-Mike

Here is an ilda sample from some of the ipod video- it looks pretty wild, might be cool to incorporate into a hip-hop song like some Beastie Boys or something.
    -Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Was that made from an ipod video with a trace tool? Doesn't look like it is suitable for sending to galvos as it is so I am just wondering. Do you know what song it is suppose to go with?

I used Traceit for some time and got some experience.
    The ILDA of mikkojay will work every well. I wondering what kind of video it was taken? Was it a moving figures on black background?
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Doesn't look like it is suitable for sending to galvos
    Starting source: Ipod Vid
    End result on the wall: here
    So tell me, how do you eyeball a series of frames to deem them scannable?
    Just curious.
    It makes me want to upgrade my current video editing software (pinnacle studio) to their latest version that includes support for greenscreen/chromakey effects.
    If anyone is surfing around youtube and sees a cool video the want to try scanning, let me know and I will mess around with it.
    Later, Mike
    Last edited by mikkojay; 11-06-2007 at 21:06. Reason: drunk on Tuesday

Ok tips...actuall tips.

1. Solid background.
    2. Bright lines (outlines)
    3. Cartoon color filled objects.
    4. Always use lossless image formats. TIFF/BMP

The best animation tool to use is MOHO (I think Poser people bought the company and now it's called ANIME Studio 5) It wasn't expensive when it was moho about 80$ (Now 190$)... Now you can get a basic for about 49$

Here is an example of a frame.

Attached Files Attached Files
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

hello all
    i've seen this topic and i have one question about trace it.
    where you got the version 4 of this software? because i have the version 2.0.1.434

thanks

Hey Genesis,
    I am just using the one that Bill emailed me. I checked, and it is version 4. I think he sent it to me about a month ago.
    Also, I followed the link on your signature to see your projector- INCREDIBLE! Very nice work!
    -Mike
    Last edited by mikkojay; 11-14-2007 at 15:36. Reason: wow