Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traceit Tips

Default Traceit Tips

Since Bill was kind enough to share this utility (thanks!), I thought I would start a thread regarding its use. I chose the Laser Display Files section because I for one definitely plan on sharing some of what I create with it here. As a new user of the Traceit utility, I have found it to be mostly self-explanitory, but I have seen some areas for discussion- such as optimization settings, etc...
    Where I am going with this, is an open invitation for anyone who has used this utility to share some of the tips or tricks they have come up with while using it.
    Let me start- Last night, I was messing around with the video converter. To find a source for input video files on the web (in AVI format) turned into a bit of a hassle. I then stumbled across a utility that allows you to paste the URL of a youtube video, which it then converts from flash & saves to your local machine as an AVI or MPEG file.
    Here it is:
    I read some reviews on it and I do not believe it has any spyware/adware, but as with all things like this, it is an “at your own risk” type deal.
    http://www.save2pc.com/
    Anyway, I had some interesting results from some of my samples.
    I found that video with a plain background and clear edged objects was most useful.
    I made 3 short clips that looked pretty cool on the projector-
    1) an atomic bomb blast
    2) dancing figures from an ipod-like commercial
    3) some footage of Jimi Hendrix live at Monterey (The Wind Cries Mary)

I tried to export to ilda without much success, but the lpc file type seemed to work OK. Has anyone else had any experience doing something similar?
    Also, playing with the smoothing filter changed the "displayability" somewhat. I think I need to play with it some more to get it down to a science, but the results are looking very promising!

If anyone has anything they would like to share on this topic, that would be great.
    Thanks, Mike

Great thread idea -

I have TraceIt and am brand-new to trying to convert and create my own laser graphics. Any and all tips would be appreciated!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I don't have trace it so I don't know what you are talking about. Is this a pangolin only thing?

I think it is one Pangolin acquired from a 3rd party - they offer it to owners of Pangolin products.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Yeah, I think it was created by the authors of LA Studio, which I believe was bought out by Pangolin.
    Here is a link that shows a little about it:
    LINK
    It is offered to Pangolin customers only, but you can get your foot in the door for 500 bucks with an FB3.
    Since this is the case, I am half tempted to start threads for DRAW3D and ShowRider as well, but I am not sure if this would be the ideal location.
    I spent quite a while last night working on a show for The Wind Cries Mary, and I found one more tip to pass on-
    DRAW3D allows input of WMF files, which are stored in vector format.
    I found that microsoft has a huge archive of FREE clipart in WMF format that may be downloaded from HERE. You can filter your results to return WMF clipart. Many of the images are cliche or corny, as most clipart is, but there are some decent ones in there if you weed thru the junk.
    I started really getting into using the ShowRider program after figuring out how to sync the timeline to an mp3. Timing frames and transitions to match changes in a song is killer if you take the time to get it just right.
    The morphing and other effects also take it to another level, as long as you don't abuse them by getting carried away. It's kind of like when people create an MS Powerpoint presentation and have their slides flying around all over the place just to prove to the world that they can do it- less is more.
    I'm about 2/3 done with the show, so hopefully I can get it wrapped up tonight. Then I can park it out on an ftp site for FB3 folks to check out.
    Later, Mike

Oh, I almost forgot-
    This part is KILLING me about the fact that I don't have a BLUE laser yet!
    "The traffic lights they turn of blue tomorrow
    And shine their emptiness down on my bed
    The tiny island sails downstream cause the life that lived is is dead
    And the wind screams mary"
    Aw heck, its only a grand or so!
    -Mike

The Laser Freak website has different forums for different software packages. That might be useful.

Cool

Hey Mikkojay;

Re: your need for a blue laser... I just found out that Lasever has dropped their prices. They're now selling a 100 mw blue DPSS laser (473 nm) for just $750. That's a pretty decent price!

I spoke with David Wu (Lasever here on the forums) about the problems they had with the DPSS blue lasers in the past, and he assured me that they've all been fixed. Of course, time will tell, but they are still offering the standard 1 year warranty. (More tellingly, they are now *repairing* the problematic MR and ML series heads for free rather than forcing customers to wait until they fail and then replacing them with different models.)

Anyway, it's not the same as a CNI, but if you want blue and you're on a budget, a Lasever is something to think about...

Adam

Hey Adam, Thats cool- I just bit the bullet and went with a Dave/Aijii CNI. From what I have read, those things are solid and the service is excellent. This is a big investment for me, so I figured I'd do it right the first time.
    My first show is going pretty good- I just have about 50 seconds left to edit. What is everyone's opinion on metaphors during a show that coincide with key lyrics? I have seen it done with both amazing and corny results- kind of like tattoos!
    Later, Mike

Well, Jimi is out on the ilda swap site, in the shows/pangolin folder.
    I put the mp3 in there too, if anyone has any issues with that, go ahead and delete it.
    edit: I took the mp3 out of there, I didn't want to make any waves.
    Send me a PM if you need to

-Mike