Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +/- 10v, or +/- 5v which is it?

Default +/- 10v, or +/- 5v which is it?

I've just ordered a parallel port DAC kit from "Norm".

The circuit diagram shows X+ (and y+) ranging from +10v to -10v. X- and Y- are connected to ground.

If I understand differential inputs correctly, then if I connect the X-and GND on the galvo amp to X- on the dac (GND) and then connect the X+ to the X+ input on the amp I should be OK.

Differential inputs on the galvos are like balanced audio line drivers, that is, in the galvo X- is inverted, added to X+ and the result divided by 2 (in my case (-GND + 10v) / 2 = +5v out).

Do you concur?

Steve

Yea, you are right. As long as your galvo amps have differential inputs then you are ok. Wouldn't work with those 15K scanner amps though.

Hmmm...

You mean the lasershowparts ones? I have some of those, and they do have an input labelled as differential.

So you're saying that they don't do the /2 on the inputs?

Steve

The 15K ones I got from lasershowparts don't have a differential input. At least I don't think they do. I'll have to double check next time I look at them. They are currently stuffed away in a box unused. Does anyone want to buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    The 15K ones I got from lasershowparts don't have a differential input. At least I don't think they do. I'll have to double check next time I look at them. They are currently stuffed away in a box unused. Does anyone want to buy them?

The 20k's Steve bought do have differential inputs...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Norm's markings are NOt differtial compliant, he uses galvo + to mean a single ended output and galvo - to mean good old circuit ground. His board is single ended!!!!

So you get a 10-0-10 signal out of each + pin, for amps with a 5-0-5 single ended input that may be too hot, you can always use a potentiometer on the NLS boards output to cool that down. for a modern standard scanner amp with differntail, youd ground one input, tie norms galvo- to ground and tie galvo + to the non grounded input and you should be fine. Although I'd use the potentiometer on each galvo just to be sure.....

Stev eRoberts

It's OK. Just hook is (-) gnd to the - on the scanner input and it should be ok. The scanner amp expects +/- 10v and that's what Norm's DAC outputs. But, it isn't a differential output so it will be subject to noise.

Couldn't you just put a resistor in to drop the voltage? Checked the manuals for the 10k set from lasershowparts and it says the scanner imput is -5v to +5v(10vp-p), what does the "p-p" mean?

p-p is peak to peak. I bet that there is a pot on norm's dac that you can use to scale back the output voltage to +-5v p-p. If not, you should email him and ask him where to put it. It would be better to put it before the op amps (bias) instead of afterwards I think.

Well if it says -5v to +5v(10vp-p) doesn't that mean it can take the 10v signal? I'm busy building a DAC and it takes 5v, but gives a output of 10vp-p, will it work on a scanner set that takes -5v to +5v(10vp-p)?