Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Anyone know what this is for?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone know what this is for?

    Anyone know what this is? It is a large cube about 5" x 5" x 5". It has a top block that has wires that connect to 4 brass studs that come out the block. Those studs make contact with 2 brass vertical pins. In the bottom of the 2 vertical pins are very tiny mirrors (I mean very tiny). It looks like the vertical pins slide up and down and rotate. There is also a 110V power input to the bottom of the unit. I think this is a magnet? Although I am not sure.
    Has anyone seen one of those or know what it is for?

  2. #2
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.


    Ah, looks like honeywell chart recorder galvo pins. I'd need a shot of the mirrors to be sure, but I think if its what I think it is, The block is a huge magnet the very tiny mirrors are on torsion wires. VERY old technology, predating general scanning. very fast open loop, but incredably tiny mirrors.
    good luck. Dont burn the mirrors, they are pre dialectric.

    I'm showing my age on this one.

    Steve Roberts

  3. #3


    Cool I got it out of an old laser show that had GSI 120Ds in. Was installed in 1987 and I grabbed it along with a few other parts when they were having a clear out.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts