Thread: What/How to use IEEE-488?????

Default What/How to use IEEE-488?????

First off, what is it really? My new power meter has it and so do a bunch of other things I have. What does it do and how do i make it work/useful.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

IEEE 488/GPIB/HPIB is an interface spec that originated from Hewlett Packard and then was adopted as a standard by the IEEE for measurement equipment.

It is a parallel communications bus that is connected to a host controller (PC GPIB card or USB GPIB) in a star pattern or series pattern. With the proper software such as labview and other GPIB-aware apps, you can use it to control instruments and log data.

The GPIB PCI cards range from $250-$300, ISA cards around $50.

So will this lab view software with every device? Also, is this similar to RS-232?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

labview is a graphical programming language where you can drag and drop gagues and dials and controls, and ouput logs, etc. so it will work with every device you program it to. There are other programs where you don't have to do as much configuration. This isn't that similar to RS232 because there are control lines beyond the data lines, it uses an interleaved handshake for data preservation, and you can have a string of many units on one cord. Also with IEEE 488.2, commands are defined as part of the standard, where RS232 is only a signal and hardware standard.

here is some free software for capturing pots:
    http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/gpib/readme.htm