Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legal situation?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    the more likely it is that restrictive laws will follow
    Bearing in mind this is the UK, it's far more likely our esteemed leaders will impose a new form of laser tax on us, and a certain mayor will charge ten times the normal tax if you shine any beams towards London.
    But they will state that all money raised will go towards reducing harmful laser emissions (presumably leaking IR ?!!) and developing "greener" lasers

The funny thing with CAA, if you apply for permission to point a beam skywards and you don't get any objections back from them, that means it's ok to go ahead...

Just heard back from the CAA. Ask for leaflet 'Civil Air Publication (CAP) 736 entitled "Guide for the operation of lasers, searchlights and fireworks in UK airspace'

It's very thorough and includes notification forms. There are some in depth site details which you will have to look up such as ASL, Latitude/Longitude.

The Latitude and Longtitude are easy enough to find from postcode but ASL?

http://www.caa.co.uk/
    A lovely childhood. Just me my mother and the voices.

I've always been told to just phone / write to David Grove at the CAA on 020 7453 6582. There wasn't an official form but maybe they've changed it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 450nm View Post
    Just heard back from the CAA. Ask for leaflet 'Civil Air Publication (CAP) 736 entitled "Guide for the operation of lasers, searchlights and fireworks in UK airspace'

It's very thorough and includes notification forms. There are some in depth site details which you will have to look up such as ASL, Latitude/Longitude.

The Latitude and Longtitude are easy enough to find from postcode but ASL?

http://www.caa.co.uk/
    What did you think that Xgeek and me were talking about? If you'd read that last night you'd have known that it WAS the CAP 736 you need to read, having already read it. And you don't have to pay for a paper copy. Unlike the HSE guidelines, you can download this one.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Bearing in mind this is the UK, it's far more likely our esteemed leaders will impose a new form of laser tax on us ... But they will state that all money raised will go towards reducing harmful laser emissions (presumably leaking IR ?!!) and developing "greener" lasers
    I like it. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    What did you think that Xgeek and me were talking about? If you'd read that last night you'd have known that it WAS the CAP 736 you need to read, having already read it. And you don't have to pay for a paper copy. Unlike the HSE guidelines, you can download this one.
    Yeah thanks, I was flooded under with info' last night and trying to sort out plod as well. Been working my way through all of it today. Heavy going but have nearly all the info' now.

Have spoken to plod today as well who says that his main worry is that people are clueless and might worry about what the beam is. I said that I'd leaflet the immediate area in the beams path to put their minds at rest
    if that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

What is the display look like?
    I agree, take some pics and show us.

I want to see what it’s like!

I’m in the UK also, and I’m interested in the results.

My pure ignorance would assume its not "illegal", but as somebody else said its people who don’t understand it that’s the problem.

Some people see laser beams as "cutting tools", some to the extent that they think if you put anything into the beam it will be cut in half / have a hole burned through it!
    Regards,

Aidan

his main worry is that people are clueless and might worry about what the beam is
    I'm sure he got that right - look out for 'aliens attack Wiltshire' in next Sunday's tabloids...

Lol, plod.
    Anyway, you got to the core of it now. And it's true, people ARE largely ignorant, and that makes them scared. And they won't be any less scared if you know, and they don't, so telling them is of limited help if they don't already trust you. To complete the usefulness of that effort, one of two things must happen. Either they independently research what they are told (unlikely, and it's not actually their business), or some official agency bestows their seal of approval so you can show that to anyone who asks. That's where the CAA thing really helps you. Take care, first of all, think paranoid if you have to, it's perfectly healthy, it's called 'risk assessment'. Then get the CAA on side. Once (if) you have that, you can charge tickets for admission if you want, so long you don't change the show, and so long as you don't transgress all the other stupid little byelaws that probably crowd round the moment you try stuff like that. If people don't like what you're doing, some of them will dig up a byelaw 400 years old to try to stop you, if they feel they have to.

Would be cool if you get it so you can keep it running long-term. But if enough people got rights to do it, it would soon get harder anyway.

Thanks for comments Doc.

Realisticall I can't see the situation going on forever without legislation. As you say a 250mW greeny can light matches across a room. As Joe Bloggs I bought it for £160. What power will be available for the same money in 5 years time to similar members of the public?

There is also the magic word 't*rrorist' which will undoubtedly come into the equation soon.

Pictures:- I have tried but can't get a decent shot of the beam unless I am on top of it. I am told by those all over town (and the next three towns) who have seen it that the beam is VERY impressive!