Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 405 nm results

In testing, I just took one of these diodes up to 100mA for a second or two without it blowing, the output still looks fine. The output must have been at least 50mW.

If the failure you experienced was facet damage at 15mW, wouldn't one expect instant failure at 50mW?

Talking 50mw

Hi Dr Lava, wow 50mw consider yourself lucky, the test I done was a long duration test to try and work out the long term stability of the diode and how far I could push it ( but slowly) the quantum well structure of these diodes seem quite to be very efficient considering that they lase at very few milliamps so it could have been just a general abuse of the diode not the front facet that caused the bad output but considering that it had been on for 5 weeks continuously and quite a bit of that time was at 5mw, then 12mw for around 2 weeks of that then 15mw for a day I did not think it was a bad endurance test, and you might find like on other diodes that a quick short burst might not do know harm to a diode but you might get away with it once twice before your luck runs out. Also the gain on these diodes to seem to vary as much as plus or minus 20% some are better than others you can say that about most diodes but these seem a bit extreme on when the thresh hold boundary is compared to a common red diode I have had 17 of these units now and have tested every one to see when it starts to lase but I have only sent one to diode heaven so that other people don’t have to.

Wink 50mw

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    In testing, I just took one of these diodes up to 100mA for a second or two without it blowing, the output still looks fine. The output must have been at least 50mW.

If the failure you experienced was facet damage at 15mW, wouldn't one expect instant failure at 50mW?
    sorry forgot to ask on the last post what voltage was that at and was you guessing at the output power. as far as i can work out these diodes are 7mw niche so if you did get it up tp around 50mw for a second or two thats 7 times the recomended well done

Hi, I estimated 50mW. The lasing threshold was about 20-22mA. It is running a 20mW 'destructive' test right now for 7 hours so far at about 48mA. I had removed the front glass of the diode, and the uncollimated beam shape looks nicer with it off. For the 100mA test I was using the supply in current limit mode and didn't check the voltage at that time, sorry. If it survives till I get home later today I'll check that.

Marconi, what is the I-V curve of the blu-ray burning diodes?

nice one at least you will know how far to push them even if you do get a limited life span of a few hours or days only testing will tell keep up the good work and post the results

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Marconi, what is the I-V curve of the blu-ray burning diodes?
    Not sure , I didnt check that..I went straight to the analog driver so that nothing bad would happen..As you know., I killed the first one so Im down $400 but I plan on recooping by selling this one on ebay soon..
    I can tell you.. the threshold is at about 38ma .and I'm running it now at about 100ma for 80mw out. so it looks like .80mW/ma. altho they claim 1.5mW/ma. but thats for pulse I'm sure.
    Still pretty decent as it wants to go a whole lot more but dont want to fry this one..
    maybe after Ive gone through a few I'll torture one..gotta get brave first..

I hadnt played with it too much these last few days got caught-up in Wifi'ing
    the house. Hmm that didnt sound right, well you know what I mean.

Anyhow, If you got 50mW out of one of those reader diodes man thats was lucky..I have heard that some
    higher power diodes (1x burners) have escaped into those PS3 assemblies..lucky find if thats what you got..
    I'm thinking that was when they were trying enmass to meet the demand last year.
    Most I've seen out of those is about 20mW. about .52mw/ma safely.
    But one time I did ramp one to get 40mW out before it died.
    Of course YMMV as its a luck of the draw on these..
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASv9...eature=related

You need to watch this, nice work with 405nm !!

Quote Originally Posted by uncleworm View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASv9...eature=related

You need to watch this, nice work with 405nm !!
    Along those lines, these videos are really cool too! Its like one of those old hand-held scanners...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Ndl...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjZH...eature=related

Here is some data from the latest batch of these PS3 diodes that I got. output is 0.738 mW/mA after threshold (26mA)

Question

Hey Kaz,
    Where did you get that power meter?, looks pretty nice, and OEM.