Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 405 nm results

Lightbulb

I think that is another one of Robin's creations... D4Thing...

HI guys, allthatwhichis beat me to it, the d4thing is a nice piece of kit considering the price, the censor head on the unit is a thermal sensor so it is not wavelength dependent, Robin also make an excellent diode driver as well ,
    Nice piece of info there Drlava on the 405 diodes, I have just had a quote back from a company wanting over £600 for 35mw of 405nm I think thee little units are good fun at a sensible price when you look at what you get for your money.

I have the die4thing too. It's nice. I wish there was a good way to mount it in a box, though. The location of the buttons makes it difficult.

I know what you mean, all i was going to do is make a cut out in a small abs box for the little screen to go through and mastic it to the inside then ither cut a small slot on the side of the box to get my finger in there for adjustments, or somehow extend the little buttons so they can be used at the top of the box, something like that.

I got a die4thing as well, got the last one, and looking at the same problem..... I figured I will make it battery operated, according to Robin the draw is about 60mA. Should be OK for alkaline penlights. Separating the two boards will make mounting easier but I'm not looking forward to that solution. Extending the buttons shouldn't be too hard but it might loose that quality feel to it. Would be great to see other's solutions.
    Here's one from an ebay auction(for the laser, not die4thing):

What I'd do is mount the device behind an acrylic or polycarb panel with a blanking template in thin black spring plastic cut to shape to show the screen. If the panel was thick enough, you can use it to support longer buttons, rods with flanges retained between the button tops and the panel. On a thin panel, there's room to drill and mount a small guide to retain the button rods. I think a cheap source of appropriate rods might be some cheap switch of similar design, some are made specifically for this, you could unsolder the existing switches to fit the long-rod types. That takes care of the retention. They have lousy resistance to bending forces until they're fitted to run through guid holes in th panel, but they're ok once they're in place.

Edit: Zoof got there before me, just. VERY nice box. Zoof, 'the last one'? That sounds ominous. Did I miss the boat? I have my own (simple) design worked out for metering, but that D4thing has always been on my wish list.

Doc, it was the last one Robin had for now, I believe he is looking for some new sensor head parts and sensors that became hard to get / obsolete. He might shed more light on this though. Its a nice unit.

btw that box is not mine and I think the person who made it separated the two boards. The buttons are spaced differently from the display than on the pcb's.