Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebay Aixiz Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Aixiz usially ship by USPS. It's the slowers form of shipment known to men. Plus charging the same as lasershowparts. The top guy in the company have no idea whats going on and shipping people have no idea what he is doing. There is major miscommunication in the company. Thats why one can say the item was shipped and other will say that nothing was shipped. And why the hell they have to tell about "OUR PLANT" "OUR LASER MAKING FACILITY" "WE PASSED YOUR INFO TO OUR ENGINEERS" when they are a reseller and only engineer in the company is a top guy plus 2 selling crew. I don't hate them or anything but be warned about miscommunication problem in their company.
    In the UK, that kind of conduct would get a company forced to shut down. Trading Standards would make it personal, it would be done. It might take them a while to establish a case but it would happen.

I guess I'll throw in a bit of information. No company, at least in the United States, manufactures DPSS systems with only a couple of exceptions and those you will not find on eBay since they are very expensive. They are basically custom built. If any company talks about building you a system they are probably blowing smoke. Almost all DPSS systems come from China, Taiwan or Hong Kong. It only makes economic sense to import systems. They are very inexpensive when compared to local production. Quality is pretty decent but there are exceptions.

If you read on eBay that a seller is offering a working DPSS system and states that it does not fall under FDA regulation because it is an OEM product they are lying to you. Any system that works must comply with Title 21. They are trying to avoid providing the buyer with operating instructions and safety procedures. They are selling systems that do not have the necessary safety systems as defined by the FDA such as key switches, remote interlocks, aperture shutters, beam-on delays, status lights, etc.

There are professional scammers that will offer a 1000mW and ship an 800 or 500mW figuring you don't have the equipment to test it. I know this to be true as my company every now and again will buy and test a system from them. Generally there is nothing wrong with the unit since it is a resale unit produced in China but the output and specifications are not what was advertised. The biggest scam is a the output power with the power stability being second. The last one we tested was sold as a 1000mW 532nm and it tested out as an 800mW. I am not a liberty to discuss who the seller was but we were contracted to purchase and test.

I don't know of a single Chinese manufacturer that doesn't offer a warranty to the reseller. The problem is that the warranty begins when the reseller receives the shipment. So, if the unit sits on the shelf the seller may not want to issue a warranty with the equipment since they will not be able to recover any repair costs if it goes bad. That should not be a buyers concern. That is poor business inventory planning by the reseller.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Since my company is a reseller of many of the manufacturers I can look at a picture and price on eBay and know immediately if there is something wrong. If you are inexperienced, don't hesitate to ask someone, particularly here or other laser forums about it before you buy.
    The Frothy Chimp
    Cynic Extraordinaire
    Back off man, I'm a scientist

Good whiskey, fine cigars, long legged women and blues guitar.
    That's what I like.

The strong shall stand, the weak shall fall by the wayside.

That's not hard to believe, being as Coherent Spectra Physics , Melles and the rest are cha-ching$$$ and I believe based in the US..
    U got a favorite Chinese mfg'r?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    That's not hard to believe, being as Coherent Spectra Physics , Melles and the rest are cha-ching$$$ and I believe based in the US..
    U got a favorite Chinese mfg'r?
    I was going to say, doesn't SP and MG make DPSS. I figured that is where the Chinese got the designs from...

Yes I'm sure they do and they're pro-grade and it;ll cost you 15,000 dollars for a 50 mw green 532 from them probly..heh... and 500:1 polarization for dna sequencing or whatever they do with them.. but I'm sure it aint aimed at the lasershow people... like us ..meh..

Generally the difference is the optics train. Inexpensive laser systems (imports) tend to have linear optical paths. Basically 808nm into YVO to 1064nm into KTP to 532 out past an IR Filter and viola a green beam, for example. U.S. manufacturers build systems that are orders of magnitude better in quality and performance than most imports. The beam path tends to be removed from the linear output path in order to massage the beam using optics, filters, polarizers, splitters etc to achieve a performance level to meet very specific industry needs.

Consider the imports to be general use lasers and the Coherent, Spectra Physics, Melles, etc as the thoroughbreds of the laser industry. Of course the price you pay is directly proportional to the quality of the system. There is just no getting around it.
    The Frothy Chimp
    Cynic Extraordinaire
    Back off man, I'm a scientist

Good whiskey, fine cigars, long legged women and blues guitar.
    That's what I like.

The strong shall stand, the weak shall fall by the wayside.

Well, If you do any surfing on this site, you'll see that most of us know that general kind of info.. but thanx for the input.. (for the newbies that might not have known.. )