Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Now I've got something to show!

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    My green beauty at the Nightlife Awards 2007 show in club the Matrixx in Nijmegen - The Netherlands...

Is that actually your or a promo pic?
    It looks great, but I would think it could chop peoples heads of in the audience

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Is that actually your or a promo pic?
    Yep, it's my projector (we had 3x 1W DPSS, 1x 2W RGB at the show in total, the one on the photos is actually my 1W projector)

It looks great,
    Thanks!

but I would think it could chop peoples heads of in the audience
    It's not one static beam

""but I would think it could chop peoples heads of in the audience It's not one static beam""

1 watt at a distance of errr 5/6 metres ........ i errr think you might struggle to get that approved in any form no matter how fast your galvos are moving.

Did you do any MPEs before attempting to burn the audiances clothes

Seriously i'm here to be educated too , but that looks like seriously fooking dangerous to me , could possibly be the most dangerous show i have ever seen photographed , since i dont often have a declared output power.

Most people dont publicise that type of audiance scanning as it can become evidence should they get their arse sued off them.

I feel sure however this was not dangerous show as i am confident you were sensible enough to tweak the show down to meet your MPE calculations , its amazing what a proffesional photographer can do ... thanks for sharing.

Surely the fact its not static doesnt mean a lot as the galvos are moving the beam back to position to same position in milli milli seconds so to eye its actually static , IE/ yes its not static as the beam is moving to create the tunnel but if your eye becomes the termination point within the tunnel the galvos move so swiftly its back into your eye a few times before you can blink so in effect its static .

Enjoyed photos of your kit , your clealry talented at designing and building kit

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

And of course I am sure that the beams are moving around very quickly, however, due to the photograph they only look as if they are still.

Fast shutter speed

Ok... thats enough of that. Paul I'm glad you said something (I was thinking the same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    1 watt at a distance of errr 5/6 metres ........ i errr think you might struggle to get that approved in any form no matter how fast your galvos are moving.
    I don't need to get anything approved. This show was in the Netherlands, a country where we're allowed to do audience scanning.

Seriously i'm here to be educated too , but that looks like seriously fooking dangerous to me , could possibly be the most dangerous show i have ever seen photographed , since i dont often have a declared output power.
    I can show you the photos of many, many events in the Netherlands where crowd-scanning with 10W DPSS or more is being done including company names and exact declared output power.

The problem with places like the US and other places where all kind of rules are restricting you, is that people don't think themselves anymore. Hugo (Laser Image BV) is one of the most talented laserists you can imagine, and people have had several discussions with him about audience scanning. Simple as that: We never had any accidents here in the Netherlands (caused by laser-radiation) while we're doing audience scanning in almost every show. People just scream about MPEs', approvements, whatever, without ever having tried or seen shows like these themselves. Just because the (sometimes stupid) rules restrict them from doing it in their country.

It's just like the American manuals for products like blenders. "Don't put parts of your body in this blender while it's turned on". Are people oversea just stupid or is it only your government that tries to make us think that??

Oh, and if you're scared by pictures I showed you.. Then put your sunglasses on for this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DSnsTZw80iU&feature=related

Cool

Yea, we've discussed that one before. You can actuallly see static beams in the crowd.

Exclamation

JeroenVDV;

The guy (Lasermad) that first posed the question of crowd safety after seeing your pictures (above) lives in Scottland, not the US. So why are you bashing the US safety laws instead of answering his question? US laws don't have any bearing on his questions. Furthermore, your claim that laws mean people don't have to think for themselves is patently foolish. If anything, restrictions *force* you to re-think your show, if only to be sure you are in compliance.

And why even mention Hugo Bunk from Laser Image? I agree that Hugo is very well qualified to perform MPE calculations to determine whether a show is safe or not, but he doesn't work for you, nor did he set up the show in the picture we're talking about.

Just because you saw Hugo do it safely doesn't automatically mean that the way you are doing it is also safe. Lasermad's question is a good one. Have you actually done any MPE calculations, or are you just assuming that your show is safe because you've seen it done before?

To that I'd add a question of my own: Do you have a beam-expanding lens on your projector?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    JeroenVDV;

The guy (Lasermad) that first posed the question of crowd safety after seeing your pictures (above) lives in Scottland, not the US. So why are you bashing the US safety laws instead of answering his question? US laws don't have any bearing on his questions. Furthermore, your claim that laws mean people don't have to think for themselves is patently foolish. If anything, restrictions *force* you to re-think your show, if only to be sure you are in compliance.
    Sorry for that, didn't check his location.

I don't think I claimed that law means people don't have to think for themselves. I only think that's the result of all the regulations/laws.

And why even mention Hugo Bunk from Laser Image? I agree that Hugo is very well qualified to perform MPE calculations to determine whether a show is safe or not, but he doesn't work for you, nor did he set up the show in the picture we're talking about.
    I mentioned Hugo because I've seen lots of Laser Image shows, from within the audience and from the FOH, and I know what "calculations" and safety measures are being taken.

Lasermad's question is a good one. Have you actually done any MPE calculations, or are you just assuming that your show is safe because you've seen it done before?
    No, I didn't do MPE calculations. Yes, I assumed my show is safe because I've seen lots of shows with 2-10W DPSS lasers doing the same show.

To that I'd add a question of my own: Do you have a beam-expanding lens on your projector?
    No, you mean an extra lens between diode and scanners?

Sorry for my "bashing" and heavy reply, I think it's because of the language-difference that I'm not able to say everything exactly the way I feel/want to say it.

However, I'm also here to learn new things and I'm quite new to this all. This show was done by a company of a friend with 2 1W 532nm DPSS lasers of him, one 2W RGB from Laser Image and my 1W 532nm projector as an extra item.

Just because your country doesn't regulate audience scanning does not meen it's safe.
    As an example in Germany there are no speed limits on over half of the Autobahns, does that meen it's safe to drive a BMW at 250MPH?. There are times when it is safe, but on those occassions there are many things that are done to reduce the risk of injury.

Jim