Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Now I've got something to show!

Default RE: hard to read...

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    @dsli_jon

It is very hard to read your replies when they are just one solid block of text.

Jim
    ..would that be because of too much 10W audience scanning??

no, thanks for the crit - you're right - I can't edit it anymore, (guess the
    'meter expired' but next time I go on a 'rantrum',

I'll be sure to

break it up

a bit

Good advice for a forum n00b (I've just never had bloody TIME for the 'funner things' like foruming and blogging...too much dang werk!!

thanks - peace,
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-24-2007 at 09:06. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    @dsli_jon

It is very hard to read your replies when they are just one solid block of text.

Jim
    I have to agree it feels like I'm back in Japan!. People who don't know what I'm on about take a flight to Japan. Or try to look trough Japanese magazine.
    Your poor head will explode.

3d69.be My oh my someone from bankrupted game making company made this web page.

Actually Here is a print out from wiki I think it's spot on.
    • Do not scan with pulsed lasers (e.g., metal vapor, pulsed YAG, pulsed solid-state). They are inherently hazardous due to the power of each pulse. It requires exacting calculations to even consider scanning an audience with pulsed lasers. Because of the great potential danger, use continuous wave lasers (e.g., he-ne, argon, krypton, diodes, cw YAG, cw solid-state) only.
    • Increase divergence. For ranges of less than about 30 meters (100 feet), using a lens to increase divergence can allow for visually effective power levels while maintaining controllable irradiance levels. A bright, fuzzy beam is far safer (and more visually effective) than a dim, tight beam with the same irradiance.
    • Don't use a single beam. You should never aim a single beam into the audience. In general, if a single beam is safe, then any scanned effects such as cones and fans will spread the light out, and be too dim to be effective.
    • Move the projected effects. When projecting a fan or tunnel, move the effect through the audience. This reduces the multiple pulse accumulation.
    • Don't rely on faster scanning. In general, you will not increase safety by scanning faster. Although the beam spends less time in the eye, there are more crossings of the eye, and thus the total light energy delivered remains about the same.
    • Attenuate power with size. The smaller the projected effect, the greater the concentration of energy. Any effect that grows from a point, or shrinks to a point should have a proportional fade in/ fade out.
    • Limit anchor (dwell) points. Anchor points reduce beam velocity and increase exposure. Where possible, use blanking to emphasize beams, rather than anchor points.
    • Use a scan fail interlock of some sort. Chances of a still beam from a laser entering someone's eye are small, but consider the consequences!
    • Program "no-exposure" periods in the show. Allow time for the eyes to recover by parking effects outside of the audience area. A good "no-exposure" time is 10 seconds or longer.
    • Measure the irradiance. Typical shows should not exceed 10 milliwatts per centimeter squared, or 100 watts per meter squared. You need to know what you are delivering to the audience.
    • Quick test for aversion response. Note: The following tip is only for use when you believe your show is safe by using the above tips AND you are aware you could damage your eyes if your show is not safe. Use your computer or PCAOM controls to set the laser output to all green or all white. Run the show while standing at the closest audience access point. As the laser crosses your eyes, evaluate the brightness. If you have a desire to avert your eyes, you are probably approaching or exceeding the internationally agreed safety levels (MPE).
    • Respect the audience. Not everyone enjoys bright lights in their eyes. Remember that they trust you to ensure their safety.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    • Respect the audience. Not everyone enjoys bright lights in their eyes. Remember that they trust you to ensure their safety.
    I think that last line is the most important point to consider. By far.

out of curiosity, why did you choose powercon? I encounter them all the time in my line of work (pro sound), mainly on Meyer gear. For what I do,they're great, as it's hard to find a small form factor ac connector that locks.
    I'd be antsy about lasers, though, as their max load is 15 amps (may be 20, haven't checked the specs in awhile).
    however, they're dead simple to put on a cable (up to 10ga SJOOW, it won't fit 'cause the insulation is too big). and they look pretty clean once installed. and they're lockable, so they're decent for that.

also (again, going OT here), if you need larger capacity connectors, you can let me know what power/current you need, and I can at least tell you what we use on the touring theatre end (though I suspect that most of you already know all the models I'm familiar with).

as for your c-clamp, what is the weight of your scanner? that's a pretty thin c-clamp, and I wouldn't hang anything more than 10lbs off of that thing, esp. if it's moving or generating vibrations. a full out c-clamp can handle much, much more than that, and if you really want to get crazy, you can use a full out cheesborough-type clamp. I know it seems unlikely, but plumbers tape and a 2x4 can make a damn strong connection to a pipe, if you want to get creative.

sorry, got all the way to the end of the post before I remembered: Nice job! your end result looks clean, professional, and, most importantly: trustworthy. you have a piece of gear that you can whip out, and people won't get nervous because it's held together by duct tape and a prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    out of curiosity, why did you choose powercon? I encounter them all the time in my line of work (pro sound), mainly on Meyer gear. For what I do,they're great, as it's hard to find a small form factor ac connector that locks.
    I'm working in the lighting industry, so I'm used to Powercon-connectors.

I may switch to Harting PushPull because of Laserimage using that type of connector for their projector.

I'd be antsy about lasers, though, as their max load is 15 amps (may be 20, haven't checked the specs in awhile).
    The laser is only a 1W-er, doesn't come even close to 15 amps

However, the new Neutrik Powercon High Power has just been anounced

as for your c-clamp, what is the weight of your scanner? that's a pretty thin c-clamp, and I wouldn't hang anything more than 10lbs off of that thing, esp. if it's moving or generating vibrations. a full out c-clamp can handle much, much more than that, and if you really want to get crazy, you can use a full out cheesborough-type clamp. I know it seems unlikely, but plumbers tape and a 2x4 can make a damn strong connection to a pipe, if you want to get creative.
    I've already ordered trigger-clamps:

They're simply great!

sorry, got all the way to the end of the post before I remembered: Nice job! your end result looks clean, professional, and, most importantly: trustworthy. you have a piece of gear that you can whip out, and people won't get nervous because it's held together by duct tape and a prayer.
    Thank you very much for the compliments!

I love that type of clamp, easy to hang when you're extended and working from an akward position.

I hadn't seen the new 32A powercon yet, that's sexy. I can see that changing my loom runs in the very near future.

This one is my favorite!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Guess what the UPS-man brought me today....

QM2000 + .NET