Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB extenders revisited - Lantronix UBox

Or, we could just plug the FB3 into the UBox, the UBox into the network, connect the laptop, and see what happens

That's generally my approach, unless there'a a better-than-average possibility that something might blow up
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Sure. Try it through a bandwith throttle on a LAN too. Throttle it back gently till you see the point at which performance degrades. Would be interesting to know what point that is.

Stuka, did you get a chance to try the Lantronix connected to a projector by any chance?
    If so, did it work ok?

Unfortunately, the work towards the laser project has slowed down considerably with my return to the "office", so no more progress has been made recently. HOPEFULLY, I'll get a little more done over our Thanksgiving holiday later this week.

My plan is to get the scanners (ScanPro 30's from Laser Show Parts) and lasers working correctly with a direct computer USB connection to my Pangolin FB3, then start experimenting with the Lantronix UBox in the loop before I start building my enclosure. I'll probably use a 50 foot CAT5 as my test cable length, and use LivePro with a couple of MIDI controllers connected to work the bandwidth. I'll post more results as soon as I have something to show for my efforts!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

What about Class 1 Bluetooth adapters? Good to 100 metres in clear space. Might be a royal pain to set up, but it can be secured against anything but signal failure. And it's very cheap now.

I wish serial bluetooth adapters needing no PC software support were also as cheap instead of costing at least ten times more, but that's just me venting, so ignore it...

I have tried the UBox 4100 and it does not currently work with the FB3.
    I would be very interested to hear how the 2100 get's on. Lantronix have informed me that if only connecting one device to it, there *should* be no difference between the 4100 and the 2100.

In use, it will display an image - of sorts, but it's lost a lot of detail and there's a bright spot in the middle and lots of trace lines emanating from that spot to various points on the image. Tried it on 2 laptops, the preview in LivePro looks fine and it works ok if you bypass the UBox.

Working with Lantronix support at the moment, next step is to enable trace/logging so they can get a better idea of the issue. I have been told they have other drivers for the UBox that may resolve the problem.

In the mean time, does anyone have any tech docs or info regarding the FB3's USB specification/requirement/bandwidth? I couldn't find anything in the eval kit docs or Pangolin site at a glance. All I know is the FB will work on USB1 but Pangolin recommend USB2.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the UBox 2100, which is actually the newest model, is rated for high-speed bidirectional connectivity straight from the box, while the 4-port model may require a firmware update to achieve this. I'll be anxious to see how the 2-port UBox I bought fares after I actually start driving scanners through the FB3!

Although the documentation I've seen doesn't really discuss it, the folks I heard from at Pangolin suggested that for the sake of reliability you really needed the USB 2.0 connectivity with the FB3, which could be difficult to achive through most of the "conventional" USB extenders currently available. I hope to find out soon if this Lantronix solution will work or not!
    RR

Sweet.....