Thread: Recommendations for Laptop

Default Recommendations for Laptop

I want to get a cheap 2nd hand laptop to set up and use with my laser in and out of the house.
    What do you guys use in the field or recommend?

What about tough books?

I 've seen this http://www.premiergent.co.uk/pages/n...Toughbooks.asp and think its a good option but not sure if its fast enough?

Graham

Ohh Toughbooks.... they are superb laptops for the road and entertainment business. I'm looking for one of those too but Can't find a good used one with Pentium M.

PS....Oppsss...http://cgi.ebay.ca/Panasonic-Toughbo...QQcmdZViewItem

And it's a touchscreen as well!

I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I'm a big fan of HP's, if you buy used make sure the person you are buying from has Windows XP cd or whatever operating system, just so you can reformat everything.

there are several used IBM laptops on ebay for like $375 thats what I have and it works great!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

if only I had some cash I'd buy that right now

I saw some with luminouse keys v handy for the party atmosphere....www.sterlingxs.co.uk but not one with touch screen AND luminouse keys, when I do that baby is MINE I TELL YOU , ALL MINE MWHoohahahaha ahahahahha ah ah h

Cool

I've had *really* good luck with an old IBM thinkpad 600. Yeah, they only come with a Pentium 3 at 500 mhz, but they get the job done and they're tough as nails. I bought a docking station that had ISA slots so I could plug my QM-32 board into it. Works like a charm. I paid $60 for the docking station (used) and a buddy of mine got the laptop for like $30. I spent another $80 or so upgrading the ram to 512 meg.

Now that I've upgraded to the QM-2000, I'm thinking about getting a faster laptop and a smaller docking station. (The select-a-dock 3 that I'm using with the thinkpad is rugged as hell, but it's also big, heavy, and bulky.) Currently I have the QM-2000 installed in a desktop machine, but it's not nearly as portable as a laptop...

Thinkpad laptops appear on E-bay from time to time for less than $100, so they're a great bargain. Only problem is that they're not very fast machines. That's not an issue if you run Win 98 on them, but Win XP might be a tad slow. Then too, running Pangolin means that all the work is done by the controller, not the computer, so the software doesn't care if the computer is slow. I don't know how well that would work with other software though...

Adam

The toughbooks are pretty neat. When I lived in Orlando one of my clients was Orange County Sherrif's, They once showed me a toughbook that fell off a police car doing about 40 and was run over twice and it still worked! For some reason some higher up decided they didn't really need such a tough laptop and could save tons of money by buying Dell laptops instead, needless to say, thier IT department became very busy and had to hire additional staff... Your tax dollars at work!

I recently had a chance to find out how nice a Dell Axim X50v is. Tiniest computer I ever had, and most useful too. Not sure if anyone ever wrote laser software to run off it though. It has a touch screen so you could draw things manually on it.

Touch screen AND luminouse keys 20 GIG harddrive

Not the fastes kid on the block but option to upgrade memory for £17
    http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/scpages/...ICCF27#ITRONIX