Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uv to pink

Wink uv to pink

Hi Guys, after finishing the endurance testing of the ps3 diode for the 405nm wavelength a week or so ago I thought I would see what sort of colures I could get from mixing a ps3 diode and one of the good Doctor’s rohm diodes,
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3334

I already had disassembled the optics out of the ps3 optics housing ( ali casting) so the rest was a easy affair. Using the large cube out of the optics train out of the ps3 aluminium casting it worked very well, the red rohm diode was already set up in one of my home made heat sink modules so I just made every thing come up to that height, using blue tac to get the height,
    The 405nm diode I used was the one that got damaged during the testing it now has a max out put of 7-8 mw, compared to the other ones I have that run at a stable 12 mw after optics
    With a max of 8 mw to be honest I was not expecting much of a colour change due to the lower wavelength being used ( 405nm)
    Obviously the red can go much higher in power output so the first thing I did was to turn down the red to around 4 mw, having the blue at the full 7-8 mw and just adjusting the red seemed the easiest way to do it.
    I was very surprised with the results and trying to capture the results digitally does not do it justice from a best as I can describe a dark mauve /violet to a bright pink depending on how much red was given the pink was the nicest colour also the brightest due to the extra red given 22 mw in total, I should have used one of the 12 mw 405nm for more of a impact as the damaged one has more light scatter, this would have given me around 35-40 red(660nm) with the 12 mw (405)nm all readings are after optics and cube none of the photos have been enhanced or re colour balanced they are just as the camera took them with a incense stick slowly burning away in the corner of my work shop, if you combined two 405nm running at 12mw after optics you would get out around 90-100 nm of the coolest looking pink colours I have seen without the expenses of a white light system with dicros , all together with die4 drivers the set up I have there cost around £60, so for my next project I am going to combine 3 ps3 diodes and 1 rohm to try and get around 140 mw of pink but that wont be for around a 2-4 weeks there’s a little thing stopping me at the moment called money,
    Just a thought I wonder what would happen if I mixed in some 532 around 5-8 mw with a dicro white light maybe, stay tuned and see in a few weeks,
    All the Best Kaz

hahaha Amazing Kaz I was doing exactly the same last weekend - The colour is really nice especially when it hits a white surface such as a piece of paper that will glow blue from the UV.

Rob

Ps I have done the green as well and its actually not terrible - I have plans to build a small module to incorporate into a little device that will be - perhaps the smallest RGB laser projector around. It will debut in Leicester in Feb.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I have to admit! It is an amazing color! I combined my Coherent 430nm and a 611nm HeNe and the color was a very neon pink.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hi Rob,great minds think alike lol the results should be quite good for a small setup i was thinking of getting a 532nm diode 9mm can from sp3 the diodes range from 1 mw to 50 mw all in a 9mm can but they are very exspencive i think i am going to look around for a 20 -30 mw green they are cheap enough on the web,

I have a small grren module free that I can use I just need to rape another lite on DVD for the red diode. As you explained the red does not need lots of power and that is even more evident for the green. Biggest prob I had was making the beams look like they were the same diameter....more info will follow as I progress.

PS Im not using any dichros to combine the 3 beams :0

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Rob now I am interested to see what you have up your sleeve!

Interestingly enough I was doing the exact same thing last night, and since I didnt have control over the output power of the 5mw red I was running I used another PBS cube in line, and I spun the red diode until the polarizing effect took out enough of the red to combine nicely.

I agree with making the beams look the same diameter, thats a real pain! The UV looks like such a huge beam coming out of the aperature even though on closer inspection its just about the same as the red diodes.

-Max

Nice result.

Being shorter wavelength, the colour gamut should be good for a lot of good colours. 658 is long enough to help that too.

Something I've wondered about but I'm not sure of:
    Say you have a 670 nm laser that looks as bright as a 650 because it's more powerful. (This isn't a discussion about perception of difference of monochrome reds, seems no-one will talk about that anymore anyway). So, if the longer wave red helps the gamut, you could add a TINY amount of green, just enough to make it shift to a 650 nm look-alike beam, given that the contributing beams total more power than the actual 650 nm beam I described to compare with, wouldn't it also look brighter? Or is the perceived brightness still limited by actual reception of 671 nm light?

I'll answer my own question by saying that I think it IS limited by the actual wavelengths perceived, but it would be very cool if that wasn't entirely true.

All will be revealed in due course. Im not going to say I could tell you but Id have to kill you - because I'd have to kill your whole state.

The price of secrecy

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    All will be revealed in due course. Im not going to say I could tell you but Id have to kill you - because I'd have to kill your whole state.

The price of secrecy

Rob
    Stavros. Or is that Ernst Stanro Blofeld?