Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white light ps3

Default white light ps3

Hi guys, very good news on the ps3 405nm chip, I thought I would have ago at a white light mix. One of a few that I have done but never on such a cheap outlay due to the main fact that until recently blue diodes were on the pricey side, due to the fact it was a last minute thing and it was rushed together I thought that it was a success due to the speed in which it was chucked together and the total power out put which would have been a lot higher if I had the right beam combiners then end result was this,
    43 mw of white light could have been as high as 65/75mw with the right optics the major part being the green because I was forcing the one cube with over 100mw of green so that the cube was forced to make a split I was getting as high as 80 percent loss of light going at the wrong direction the red was ok with only a 5 percent loss, there was blue that was being wasted and not going through the cube as well which was not very efficient, I did not notice this until I looked at the photos afterwards. There was still to much blue in the beam which is good news as that means more red and green to get a higher output white light, this is down to the fact that the blue on the ps3 is 405nm and this mean like the red at 635 it has a higher energy quanta per photon due to the shorter wave length and higher frequency a bit like the visibility thing with a 635 red and a 660 red the 635 looks much brighter at the sane power output so what this means is a 405nm ps3 running at 12 mw is equal to ( I haven’t worked out the figures properly yet)38mw 473nm which is good news more blue means more red and green.So all together I had 12mw 405nm/ 20mw of 660 nm and 11mw of 532nmThe photos I have taken have not been touched up at all ( as they were) hope this helps and inspires other to build there own cheap white light all the best Kaz ps any questions feel free to ask
    whats possible 12mw 405nm equivelent to approx 38mw @473nm
    with 25mw 532nm and 80mw red with the right optics you should get a 120/130mw white light, i was only limited to the green because of the setup i had to make it work.

just to put the record straight that is not my copy of sugar babes lmfao

Thumbs up

Nice! I knew it could be done. I'm gonna have to grab one of those and make a lil mini white for the laser FX.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I like those two:
    http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image02jg0.jpg
    http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image08qr3.jpg

Not sure what the cube is doing exactly, but if it's one from me it's made for red, so won't be efficient at green or blue. Also, if the laser polarisation isn't strong, it won't seem efficient, no matter what colour you use.

Blue at 405 ought to make less visible light than blue at 473. Remember, the green is the brightest, so as blue is shorter, the bright blues work down range as the reds work uprange in the wavelength scale. If the blue looks anything like it does in that picture, it suggests the colour gamut could be worth the need for more power than with 473. Being able to get close to a true violet with a basic RGB system has got to be worth doing. I hope that 100 mW 405 nm diodes quickly become common. *want* *crave!*

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

Nice! I knew it could be done. I'm gonna have to grab one of those and make a lil mini white for the laser FX.
    what happens when you scan it and the average power per steradian falls off?

Steve

Hi Doc, the cube comes from the ps3 optical assembly it’s the largest one out of the two it has high efficiencies in the 405nm and 650-660 nm range the red loss was only about 5-7%
    Green is the brightest to the eye it also has the average energy per photon state, taking it from the highest wavelength red we can see down to the lowest blue wavelength because from green down to blue the energy states in every photon is getting stronger and the wavelength is getting shorter. it is not until you mix the colours with a green or red does this become apparent it a bit like mixing a washed out green with a bright strong blue the energy state in the blue which is much higher than green will mix at a atomic level and some of this energy is what we see as light, that is why a red at 660nm 5mw appears darker than a 5mw at 635nm both the same power but in different energy states per given photon.
    Well to most laser enthusiasts this ps3 is a white light dream, I thought about mixing to of the ps3 diodes to get 24mw after optics ans see what sort of results I get and don’t forget I am not running these diodes flat out but I want longevity out of them not a 24 hour fix or beam combine them like we do with reds to get 100,200 mw of 405 but at them sort of energy density levels that amount of uv radiation will be very harmful to the skin indeed

Hi Steve, i have know idea as i did not bother scanning the beam i only poped the top off of my scanner unit so i could acsess my greenie if this is the steradian you are talking about, A single point steradian which i think is this one
    A point source of electromagnetic (EM) power that radiates equally well in all directions, and whose output is 1 W · sr-1, has a total output power of 4p (approximately 12.5664)watts (W). This is because there are 4p steradians in three-dimensional space with respect to a point of reference. The watt per steradian can be used to define the radiant intensity at any EM watts, from low-frequency radio waves through the gamma-ray spectrum. For visible light, in the wavelength range of approximately 390 to 770 nanometers (nm), the lumen is the preferred unit. which the the bit we are intrested in is 390 to 770 nm, but as i say i have know idea but if i get the time i will scan the beam and take a few pics, Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    the energy state in the blue which is much higher than green will mix at a atomic level and some of this energy is what we see as light
    What the hell are you talking about? There's no "mixing at the atomic level" going on! Seriously, where did you get that idea?
    that is why a red at 660nm 5mw appears darker than a 5mw at 635nm both the same power but in different energy states per given photon
    No, it's because the cone cells in our eyes are attuned to shorter wavelengths. If we had different cones cells in our eyes we would be able to see further into the near IR spectrum. But our eyes are optimized for the visible spectrum (which, incidentally, is entirely arbitrary - we call it the "visible spectrum" because that's where our eyes work), so if you get down towards the ends of the visible spectrum (either end) our ability to see those colors falls off REGARDLESS of the energy of the photons.

For that matter, if we had the eyes of a honeybee, we would be able to see all the way into the UV spectrum, and 405 nm light would look brighter than 532 nm green. But with our normal, human eyes, 405 nm is a lot dimmer than 532, despite the fact that the photons have more energy.

Adam

Talking

Thanks for beating me to my own idea. I like it...now I need to rumage through the laser stash and see what I can get put together....in between building another RGB projector. Got a set of open loops here somewhere....Independant white light scanner.....nice.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Lightbulb

I have a 18mW green module and there is a 30mW 680nm red diode on eBay that would be cool to mix with maybe two of the reader 405s combined. Maybe turn down the green a little and put them all in a laser FX case.

Look what you've done kaz... it was all nice thoery until now.