Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thinking of purchasing a rgb

i have spoken to the guy on the phone and he has also sent me a e-mails stating they are cni laser, if when the unit comes they are not then i will ask for a fully refund, has he would of advertised it falsey on ebay and it against there rules(all e-mails are through ebay) surely?i know the galvo's are not going to be upto much compaired to what availible but again ok for a start hopefully? at the moment i do not feel i could make my own so i thought i would buy this and up grade bits when i feel the need. the buy it now was 1450 on this, without the dac and software, they would drop the price so i go the dac and software for free instead. thanks for your advice it's much need.

cheers dean

Sorry for being a little late entering this thread... (been stuffing my face with turkey all damn day!)

That's not a bad deal, considering all that he's willing to throw in. If you're looking for a complete plug and play solution, without having to build and test everything yourself, then go ahead and buy it.

A few caveats:
    1) The scanners are NOT 45K scanners. Note the scan angle quoted for 45Kpps: just 5 degrees. They're probably 40K scanners. (8 degrees is the minimum, and he said they'll do 8 degrees at 40K.) Still, don't let that bother you. You'll do most of your scanning at 30Kpps anyway. It would have been nice if he'd posted a picture or two of the thing actually scanning something (ILDA test pattern, for example), but chances are good that you'll be satisfied with it's performance.

2) It's a TTL-only system, so you're stuck with 7 colors. That's not really all that bad; a 7 color system still looks great. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it, but when you're ready to upgrade to analog blanking you'd probably be better off just buying (or building) a second projector. (It's not cost-effective to convert a DPSS laser to analog blanking.)

3) I don't know anything about the software or the controller. That's the only part that really bothers me about the deal. Most people brag about the software in their listings. This listing is pretty shy on the details, which to me is a sign that the software might be less than you're expecting. Still, it's a reasonable deal, and you can always buy another software and controller package later. (Like Graham said, the Pangolin FB3 eval kit is under 300 GBP these days, thanks to the falling US dollar...)

The projector housing looks *very* nice, and the free flight case is an added bonus. All in all, it's a nice system that will get you up and running with a minimum amout of work. The price is competitive, too. If you're not the sort of person that enjoys tinkering with something, or building it from scratch, then this is probably just what you're looking for.

Adam

thank you, i was starting to wonder if it was a waste of money, i know it's not the best but it will get me started and then when i ready maybe i will have a go out build my own.the software is not advertised as it was not part of the original deal just something i got added on.thanks for your input.

cheers dean

Thumbs up

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought that in a minute when I first started this obession. I'm not really a do it yourselfer, and I have about that much into my projector and software. Granted I have a Pango intro kit, but my projector doesn't look that good. As of three days ago I don't have a green either. What I'd like to have is a turn key system and that one is very close. I wonder if he would help with the paperwork needed over here.

So yea, for a first projector, with some type of DAC and software, and road case, I'd buy it. If I had it, I might buy it now just to try and utilize the case and sell the other components. I have to disagree with Adam for a sec. If they are CNI lasers and you replace them with CNI analog lasers you should have no problem. They should have the same footprint. I think.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

finally brought this laser, got a 400mw green analogue diode instaed though but it put the price to 1900 total, still ithink this is reasonable any thoughts?

cheers dean

Quote Originally Posted by ockwell1980 View Post
    finally brought this laser, got a 400mw green analogue diode instaed though but it put the price to 1900 total, still ithink this is reasonable any thoughts?

cheers dean
    He's charged you an extra £500 ($1000) for a 400mW green :O

Jim

Lightbulb

Not with that increase in green. The green may over power the other two where it was, just a little, but with another 300mW. Your white it going to be very green. This is only going to make you want to upgrade the other two, which tend to be more expensive to increase than the green. I would have stayed with the original config.

Just my $0.02

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the green with analogue so i can back it off for correct colour balance. also to use it by itself for more visably pleasing shows in larger areas. finally i plan to upgrade the blue and red to analogue and a higher power at a later date so i thought i would do the green now as i could afford it.

cheers dean

Quote Originally Posted by ockwell1980 View Post
    please correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the green with analogue so i can back it off for correct colour balance. also to use it by itself for more visably pleasing shows in larger areas. finally i plan to upgrade the blue and red to analogue and a higher power at a later date so i thought i would do the green now as i could afford it.

cheers dean
    You are right, back the green off for white balance, you can also use it on full for beam shows.
    However you could have bought the RGB for the £1400 and also bought a 400mW analogue green for less than £500.

Jim