Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1.25W Air-cooled Argon/Diode Laser Projector + FullAuto

Default RE: FS Argon/Diode...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Greetings and Welcome to the forum.
    Just curious, what optics are in the argon, single or multiline? The blue in one of the pictures looks pretty deep.
    Thanks! - looking forward to the exchange - ie: this post - LOL - glad to ignite such a volley!! I will be replying in kind / clarifying shortly...

RE: Optics, not entirely sure whos, as they are hard-sealed, but definitely multiline - yes, the pic IS dark, but this Argon produces all Ar lines - definitely a nice, rich 457 and up to 528 lime...of course strongest @ 488, which we are measuring when stating 'power output' of 1W+...also, the raw beam is 1mm and divergence is really, really tight - don't have specs, but I'd guess (have not had time to measure) 1.2 mRad or less...see replies below for more info... - thanks!

jon
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Cool

Jon;

How, exactly, are you measuring the power? Are you using a lasercheck power meter set to 488 nm and then measuring the whole beam, or are you using a prizm (or grating) to split off the 488 nm line and then measuring just that single line - perhaps with a thermal power meter?

Adam

yeah, no, not gonna happen! That means they are claiming that minus the scanners/color box(about 50W) and the red laser (2W) that the argon laser is 3.39% efficient! Not gonna happen! At best you will get 1% and usually they are closer to 0.125-0.25% efficient!

Oh, yes, forgot the blowers in that equation and the efficiency of the power supply. So take another 150W for the blowers off there and then the power supply is only going to be 85% efficient or so.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Default RE: FS Argon/Diode System...

Hey Gents - great to see such a healthy forum! OK -

Ben - RE: "That ad does not add up. They are claiming 1W 488nm and 0.250W 660nm to make a total of 1.25W."

The Argon, measured on 2 independent, calibrated-w/in-1-year PYROELECTRIC (thermal) meters (Coh. Fieldmaster and Synrad) 1.15W ALL-LINES (thanks for the clarity-prodding question, Buffo! on full current, right out of the aperture (NOT after mech-blanking/ar-window...the Diode is 650nm and does ~245mW peak, so combined (BEFORE galvos, window, etc) is right about 1.25W (bit of loss on the Ar/Red mixing dichro)...Ben, if it makes you sleep better, we can get an exact measure in a few weeks, when back in NY, and post the pics...

> That would not allow for the green and white beams in the picture.

Not sure what 'white' beams yer talking about - if you mean the raver girl, this is just a blown-out 488 pic taken in near-darkness, and the scan/grating pics are showing multiline argon output and the color-sep capabilities - it is a simple, dichro-wheel on a stepper motor w/ remote control, so you can select red, lime green, deep blue, cyan, 'white' (quazi-white, cause of the disparate-divergencies of the 2 lasers - the Argon is REALLY tight and small) and can speed the stepper up to simulate a quazi-color-mod (looks good for slow sine crawls, cones, etc...

> Also, they are claiming it runs from 110V That means it draws approx 50-60A minimum.

Well, here's the deal: DreamBeamz has it when he states that this is NOT your standard IEC - it was a nightmare to find a 10-3 cord (NOT shown in pic #3 - we just threw a 14-3 on to light it up for the cameo) that would fit the sideways lugs - did not rip it apart to check the rating, cause inside, it is all wired with SOLID 10 ga. to the transformer, etc... never bothered to put an amp-clamp on it, cause bottom line, in the club, it was on a 30A 110V circuit, and ran at full power, 5-6 hours per nite, 3 nites a week, and never once over-heated the cord or popped the breaker...So not to be a smart@$$, Ben, I'm just stating the facts - this is a unique Argon, dude - NOT your typical 60x, etc... ALSO, need to figure in the optics - these clearly were designed for max output/efficiency...

RE: 'Price groaning', yep we agree - but as I stated, it is an "escrow sale", in other words, in our care to sell - Club owner wants $16K, but we advised, let's start down a bit and see where we go... ALSO, please note that the price INCLUDES OSLS ISA Full Auto Standard (value $1500. street, and it's not like it wears out...), a PC (ok, so what: $250. for a Pent II, 300-something RAM, 40GB HD, etc) AND a 15" CRT, (but that counts for SOMETHING in the price of it all) and 16 2" mirrors, oh - y'know, I FORGOT to list this - 150' 6-channel sig snake (XYB/Color control), and Variance-prep (for those that don't have it) Crating in foam, packing, etc - the Price is for a TOTAL PACKAGE...

not that I or anyone else on this forum will buy it but we would love to see some pics of the inside of this laser. I have seen a 1 watt air cooled pulling 30amps of 110v before but would be interested to see the layout and config of this laser. Dont take it offensively about people here not buying it, but most here are hobbyist and love to put together something like this on their own.

Angry RE: FS Argon / Diode...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Jon;

How, exactly, are you measuring the power? Are you using a lasercheck power meter set to 488 nm and then measuring the whole beam, or are you using a prizm (or grating) to split off the 488 nm line and then measuring just that single line - perhaps with a thermal power meter?
    Hey Adam -

Thanks for this inadvertant 'spanking' to be speaking in correct terms - when dealing with clients, you can get into the bad-habit of speaking about the ALL LINES power in terms of 488, cause that is the 'approximate VISUAL color' of an all-lines beam - that cyanny color, closest to true 488nm - easier when speaking about the 'all lines' power to express as 488 (as opposed to saying 1W of Blue (WHAT blue? 457? 476? - THAT would be confusing/misleading), but regardless, thanks for the tech-'ahem' - the eBay listing has been corrected - also, the ad was put together sometime between 4 am and 6 am, after an all-nighter, so, sorry!... what I SHOULD HAVE SAID in the post HERE (duh, Jon, it's only a tech forum of fellow LASERISTS, dummy!! was that the The ARGON, measured on 2 independent, calibrated-w/in-1-year PYROELECTRIC (thermal) meters (Coh. Head/Fieldmaster and Synrad PW) @ ~1.15W ALL-LINES. And yep, Ben, as amazing as it is, off 110V AC. Come see fer yerself...
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-22-2007 at 23:14. Reason: sp

Default RE: FS Argon...

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    not that I or anyone else on this forum will buy it but we would love to see some pics of the inside of this laser. I have seen a 1 watt air cooled pulling 30amps of 110v before but would be interested to see the layout and config of this laser. Dont take it offensively about people here not buying it, but most here are hobbyist and love to put together something like this on their own.
    Hey DB - no, not at all! - the only reason for the post HERE was just to spread the word around - ya know, 'shotgun' theory - maybe SOMEone who posts here is looking for a plug-and-play for an install, or someone THEY know, etc... WE would not drop $14K on this sys, as nice and cool as it is - why we are 'brokering' it and not buying it ourselves... and yeah, sure - will be happy to post pix of the inside - actually, only have pix of the inside of the PROJECTOR, OUTside of the laser head (though we DID open it to check current, clean dust-bunnies, etc...) but just did not snap pix of the 'core' (shame, I know, but we had SUCH a busy summer/fall, it was like, OK, get it in, clean it up, snap some pix - heck, took from end of Sept till NOW, just to get around to listing it for the owner.. anyhoo, yes, will post pix and advise once up...
    - ciao! -
    jon

Cool

Hi Jon;

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if my post sounded like a spanking - it wasn't intended as such...

I had a feeling you were measuring all lines. And yeah, 1 watt plus is doable on 110V - though you obviously have a new (or nearly new) tube in that thing.

Nice rig though. Bit pricey, but like you said - maybe someone will know someone that is looking for a turn-key system.

Adam

Smile RE: FS Argon...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Hi Jon;

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if my post sounded like a spanking - it wasn't intended as such...

I had a feeling you were measuring all lines. And yeah, 1 watt plus is doable on 110V - though you obviously have a new (or nearly new) tube in that thing.

Nice rig though. Bit pricey, but like you said - maybe someone will know someone that is looking for a turn-key system.
    Hey Adam - LOL! No worries, mate - was really more of a helper is gettng the 'sleep' out of my eyes and brain! ..been pulling a lot of late/all-nighters lately...Anyhoo, yeah, it is a remarkable little Argon, clearly a killer-efficient set of mirrors, and obviously the tube is in very good health... Agreed, pricey, but do remember it is for a complete package, so there are other 'values' in the price, not just the box (see my post #14), but yeah, it's someone trying to recoup his whole nut ..anyhoo, thanks for the comments and your helpful query! Later, man...
    - jon

what club did it come out of ??
    spirit? or one of the others on that block that recently closed

on side note i was just offered the copper vapor from crobar

also if any one needs i have like 2 extra eclipse housing's

the 3 one has a 60x in it (what i dont get is how they fit the power supply and head in there )