Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spectra Physics Power Supply

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

ohh, i getcha, he can keep the beamloc in place if he stablizes them with 24v-
    go big or go home

Smile Friendly Suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Keibot View Post
    Hello all! I need a little help here. I just bought a Spectra Physics Argon/Krypton 15w head and I need a power supply for it.
    Hey Keibot -

First, welcome to PL (from a fellow 'n00b'

Second, I assume this is where you got this beast http://cgi.ebay.com/Spectra-Physics-...QQcmdZViewItem (since the pix are identical), if so, they seem to have several of these, listed as UV - now, if that is the case (and yeah, take mixedgas up on his offer and send him the pix so he can inspect for Beamlok, and advise...) while, between all of us, I am sure we could help you thru a 'conversion' (ie: we have SP 2000 OEM Argon multiline optics in our shop as well, and we also have the complete guts of a Coherent Medical 900, PSU /all boards, etc..), my advice (and I know I wasn't ASKED! would be to concur with Clan and Steve and just SELL the thing , but as-is! -
    I think you'll get more out of it selling it as a UV head to some folks like http://www.lasershs.com/prod01.htm#Misc or http://www.cambridgelasers.com/home.html who actively refirb such-like systems and sell to the scientific world, where UV has more of a draw (and $$ value) - and get yourself set up with a nice, simple Coherent I-90 WL system... (since, judging from this purchase, it sounds like you're not adverse to the water/three-phase-power-thang...

They're tough (metal-ceramic tube), reliable, and MUCH smaller and lightweight for doing shows... and can be configured with an American 909 supply for simpler, single-phase operation (at a bit-higher current)..I think you'd really be surprised how cheaply one of these can be put together...and this is NOT a sales pitch, cause I will just give you the info on the suppliers where you can get them super cheap and you can go do your own homework...We can also recommend Lexel 88s (as a complete head/PSU sys) and you can get ~2-3 Watts of Argon or ~1-1.5W of WL for pretty cheap as well...

Just a friendly suggestion - food for thought - I just think in the long run (unless you really are INTO such a hard-core conversion project, that very likely will end up being a real 'money-mosquito' you'll get on to DOING something cool with your laser sys if you go with something closer to a show laser than this booger... - peace!

- jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02324.jpg  

DSC02326.jpg  

DSC02334.jpg  

Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-26-2007 at 16:13.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Yeah I think I'm gonna scrap this whole deal, sounds like a big pain. I have a guy here in town that seems interested in this project, so I may let him tackle it! I have a couple other laser I've recently bought that were good and working fine.. I just picked this up because I'm gung ho like that sometimes. The water cooled, 3 phase thing doesn't bother me at all.. both of my other systems are wc and 3 phase.

Apparently they have 13 of these laser heads, if anyone else is interested.

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Default RE: Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Keibot View Post
    Yeah I think I'm gonna scrap this whole deal, sounds like a big pain. I have a guy here in town that seems interested in this project, so I may let him tackle it! I have a couple other laser I've recently bought that were good and working fine.. I just picked this up because I'm gung ho like that sometimes. The water cooled, 3 phase thing doesn't bother me at all.. both of my other systems are wc and 3 phase.
    Thanks everyone for all of your help!
    Hey Kei -

Well, I certainly don't mean to dishearten you from a true 'scratchbuild' - those can be a lot of fun sometimes (I'll be posting one of mine soon as soon as I get a gallery assigned), but just in case you were planning on really 'counting' on this laser to turn a dime for you (or just have some fun with it LASING! anytime SOON, I was just kickin' out some alternative 'food for thought' - especially since it seems with all the 'DPSS-fever' these days (and here at PL, especially! the simple straightforwardness (ignoring water and 3Ø, of course! of plug-n-play whitelight from an ion can get quickly forgotten...

I am sure there are a few 'ion-vets', here - who've gone DPSS - that would agree with me in saying that in spite of the freedom of being liberated from hose, there is just still a certain special quality to an ion whitelight - with a good 8-ch PCAOM in front and a nice machita or lumia down-the-line...I know I'll always have an ion around, even if it gets mandated to the basement!

BTW- just curious - what other lasers you got? (this forum really LOVES to see pics... Maybe next time you're feeling 'gung-ho', you can load some up of your cool projects for us to kudo-you back about! -

Anyhoo, PM-me if I can ever help ya' out with anything... ciao!
    - jon

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Re HGM,
    yes, the upper limit pot becomes the current pot, when bypassed with method one. Method two replaces the computer with a opamp for light feedback or adds a cheap hall effect current sensor and a opamp for feedback.. Its a matter of personal choice. Method 1 involves pulling the CPU and adding a simple jumper. Method two involves building a small board.
    They put the light feedback comparitor on the cpu board and it outputs a drive voltage to the PSU, no drive voltage means the PSU ramps to full power
    HGM supplies are damn near bulletproof. BTW the 20 supply can run off single phase as well.

on your question about the unstable optics , I have like 150 pieces of ion optics kicking around in the optics drawer, a lexel argon set would be the same diameter as the SP optics he needs and get him going multimode, All I'd need to do is know the length between mirror mounts and run PSST optics freeware for the cavity modeling to see if its a stable combination, or just do the math by hand. I could pick a set with maximal mode filling using PSST if I know the bore diameter.

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

One thing to remember, UV tubes when new are primo high power hand selected beasts with unusually good windows. I wouldnt toss it just yet, I can make a phone call and probably get you a hgm 20 oem supply to run it if you dont have a 95 laying around. Your looking at less then 200$ in parts for a conversio n cable to another psu, and a innova 90 psu would have the built in ignitor. its really just a cable change, and at worse swapping out/adjusting a cathode transformer.

PS for the record, I whitelight coherent MRA and I90A tubes for fun some times, I have the seal off tooling and the gas mixes, and do through the resivoir refills/pressure adjusts on a turbostation at home.

And DSLI, if you guys are looking for clubbing ion heads, I have a friend with 65
    85S-enhanced lexel 85s to get rid of. We also have a psu design that can be built for ~150$.

Steve

Default RE: lexxies

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ...PS for the record, I whitelight coherent MRA and I90A tubes for fun some times, I have the seal off tooling and the gas mixes, and do through the resivoir refills/pressure adjusts on a turbostation at home.

And DSLI, if you guys are looking for clubbing ion heads, I have a friend with 65 85S-enhanced lexel 85s to get rid of. We also have a psu design that can be built for ~150$.
    hey Steve -

Please PM me your pricing for an I-90 re-gas / balancing (not talking high-volume requests or anything, just good to know for back-up!

RE: Lexxies, also good to know - don't do much with ions anymore, but when we do, those are what we recommend when 'Ma Budget is constipated' so good to know - thanks!

- j