Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectra Physics Power Supply

Default Spectra Physics Power Supply

Hello all! I need a little help here. I just bought a Spectra Physics Argon/Krypton 15w head and I need a power supply for it. Does anyone know which supply (or compatible supplies) I could use and where I may could pick one up?

Thanks for your time!
    Keibot

Cool

15 WATT? Krypton/Argon mixed gas? Sounds like a monster - maybe a 2030.?. What model head, exactly?

We'll need some more details before we can help you find a power supply. (A couple pictures of the head would be helpful!) Clandestiny (Paul) or Mixed Gas (Steve) will probably be your best bet for advice re: power supply sources.

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

for starters, my money says is not mixed gas but argon-
    irreguardless of the april fools warning label
    go big or go home

Adam,

Here are some pics of the head. It is a model 2025-60. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it! Also, I believe these are usually listed as 15 watt on the labels, but output is actually far less... anyone have a factual answer?

looks like a 6 watt argon- however it gets interesting from there- it may very well be set up for uv. In which case you will need visible optics-
    Power supply may be interesting as well- the sp supplies designed for these
    had a feature which ceased operation at 2000 hours requireing the owner to have sp make a service call. take it or leave it in the research sector-
    in the light show arena I know of knowbody who has been able to defeat it-

there are other options, i'll check in later, but at this point, i wouldn't consider this to be a newbee project- although I have no idea of your background-

peace
    go big or go home

huntsville eh? i went to spacecamp as a kid- my uncle works for the govt-
    redstone arsenal at the time-
    go big or go home

I'm definitely new at building systems, I've been running turn key systems for a while but decided to try my hand at a project.

Small world! I actually live right across the street (I-565) from Redstone Arsenal. Space Camp huh? I'm jealous! I always wanted to do that. I hear that adults can attend now. Now that I can afford it, I may partake. Sounds like fun..

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this head is set up for UV. What type of optics would I need for visible light?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Keibot View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe this head is set up for UV. What type of optics would I need for visible light?
    I have a UV spectra like that at work. I'll trade you a set of broadband argon optics for the UV optics to help my boss out, uv optics sets are 700-2500 new from the factory, , but there are only 2 customers for them in the world at any time, and if used for a long time they could already be burnt. Used UV optics thus are worth about 60$ a set. Take a picture of the tube on the inside and on the back left (the cable end ) is a model # sticker, tell me what it says. Give the rear optics mount a twist counterclockwise facing the laser and gently pull. (you wont loose alignment) If the optic is nearly water clear with a yellowish tint, its UV. write down all the numbers on the optics and I'll try to look it up. I'll toss in the lexel ignitor assembly and head schematic you'll need to get going with a more standard lexel style psu.
    If you pick up a coherent medical 900, all the parts you would need are there
    to build a psu.

Also, if they are UV, do not attempt to clean them. My lab already scratched the spare UV optic,on my day off, so I need one. Clandestiny, whom I have no relations with, will tell you thats a pretty good offer.

I have one of those 6-7 W tubes in my garage,

As for PSUs, thats a 240V tube, measured @ 40 amps, either 6-7 watts or 17 watts in that size head , if its UV , its the 17 watt tube, if its vis, it can be either. That tube likes currents up to 55 amps if its the 17 watt, but with some work it can be ran off a lexel 95 supply at lower powers. On a good day with a tailwind in a class I0,000 clean room with special optics handling and a prayer that beamlok will be behaved, it does 100-250 mW of single line uV at 48-60 amps. Most standard laser power supplies die much above 40.

See if you have a small cable coming off the mirror assembly near the output end with a clear, a white, a red a black and a green wire to a small vertical mounted circuit card ? If you do, you probably have beamlok. If so send me pictures of both sides of the front end inside. If I tell you it has beamlok, scrap the laser immediately and sell the tube on ebay. Dont ask, you dont want to know, but defeating the active piezo positioning in a beamlok cavity would be difficult. Also if it has beamlok and visible optics, it has a unstable cavity by design, that requires computer driven active alignment. Without changing quite a few thinngs, you'd only see flashes of lasing for a few seconds at a time. The vis optics I send you will be the same diameter but from another company and have stable radius of curvatures, ie will lase without active correction but you
    ll be realigning once a month and repeaking every couple of hours unless you bias the beamlok piezeos with say 24V DC.

Dont buy a another 2030 or 2060 psu for this, there is a eprom in the head and if they dont match the psu eprom, you stand a good chance of wasting your money

agree with clandestiny, not a beginners project unless your a EE or ET with a lot of high power circuits experience

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-26-2007 at 07:51.

I agree with all points, I have stayed away from this generation of sp units for all reasons listed above and then some-
    to be fair to the question- I'm familiar with unstable/stable cavity arrangements- but, i'm suprised that with the more forgiving visible optics set you are offering, he couldn't get around the beamloc issues and make a go of it- I don't have one in front of me but I would have to guess the beamloc is far to intergrated into resonator to just simply remove it- ?

Also, speaking of 17 watt tubes. I have some hgm20 supplies I would love to get running again- To many issues with the front end electronics. I had used them in service mode, but I'd like to dump the front end all together.
    Do you have a clean cut way to bypass it?
    go big or go home