Thread: RGB projector design.

Default RGB projector design.

Would you guys be interested in a 450mW RGB DPSS projector with DT40 scanners all analogue in a 10"x14"x5" housing with an ILDA input. I'm looking at around $2500-3000 for the entire setup ready to go. Do you think it would be a good market? From what I have heard, the setup should be profitable. With software, I know that club installs go for about $10k?

Any comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assem1.jpg  

CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Lightbulb

I'm not sure Ben. It seems an OK price for someone who wants a turn key system. If you provided a DAC and software, and a varience it would be a good deal.

This is a good estimate of what I have spent on my system, give or take a few $.

500B
    300R
    100G
    600Galvos
    100Optics
    100Enclosure
    1500DAC/Software

$3200 for a fairly good set up that still needs a few things to get a varience. Only 300mW but with a Pango Intro kit. Throw some specs out here for a better comparison. I think it looks a little tight in the box layout too. It is a very nice start though.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

People are always asking me to build them a projector. I always say no!.
    1st safety issue. Those people don't know how to handle 1.5 watt of RGB power they are asking for.
    2nd I'm killing my own business.
    3rd I can't provide any form of warranty.
    4th I can't make bullet prove projectors.

I would gladly help other laserists but not someone who wants lasers because it's a hype and have no idea how to operate them.

And beside there are toons of cheap laser projectors from china.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    People are always asking me to build them a projector. I always say no!.
    1st safety issue. Those people don't know how to handle 1.5 watt of RGB power they are asking for.
    2nd I'm killing my own business.
    3rd I can't provide any form of warranty.
    4th I can't make bullet prove projectors.

I would gladly help other laserists but not someone who wants lasers because it's a hype and have no idea how to operate them.

And beside there are toons of cheap laser projectors from china.
    I think Dr Laser makes some great points. I would be afraid of selling something to another person especially as a sole proprietor. If you can incorporate (fairly expensive, lots of legal issues) you would not be personally liable for any 'mistakes' you cause or even any negligence on your part. Instead the company would be liable, and any money invested into it.

But really the people who would be able to buy a projector and know how to properly use one, likely know enough how they work that they would be able to build one on their own, or already have.

Last but not least. And I say this because from what has been implied you are quite young(I found myself doing this all too often years ago). You need to add the value of your time into building such a project. For 3 grand, you're already up there as far as materials go (lasers, FB3, galvos, interlock/safety, and the enclosure). I did a lot of freelance design work, for dirt cheap, but then once I started to figure out how much I was 'getting paid' per hour I began to charge much more..

You might be able to purchase a cheap Chinese unit, scrap a few parts (replace galvos with DT-40s) and remove the paint job for cheaper...