Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted:: HAZER

This is really only for my bedroom and the odd party but I defo do not want a fogger. I liek the look of le maitre but probs just out of price range. Perhaps Ill buidl the alser first and see how powerfull it look without a hazer...could always light some joss sticks I guess.

Thats actually a fogger w/ a fan.... it wont give you the benefit of haze
    So are most low-cost 'hazers' - still works well though, shows up beams just fine and uses very little fluid. Good for an indoor venue up to 500 capacity. Quality of effect very dependent on fluid used though, the more expensive 'long hang' type is worth the extra cost.

According to Wikipedia,
    Haze effects refer to creating an unobtrusive, homogeneous cloud intended primarily to reveal lighting beams, such as the classic "light fingers" in a rock concert. is produced using a haze machine. This typically done in one of two ways. Either mineral oil is atomized via a machine like a spray pump, breaking the mineral oil into a fine mist, or a glycol/water mixture is used to create haze in a process nearly identical to creating fog effects.

Thats not entirely true, while the principal is close to a fog machine, newer hazers use a water based fluid like fog machines (some can actually use the same fluid) however, the process is different. Hazers generate a much smaller particulate, which is a benefit because it lingers in the air for a much longer time. Which is why you set up a hazer to run about an hour before the show.

The mineral oil based hazers (like the DF-50) are great hazers, although out of the price range of many hobbyists, which is why the Neutron (and other knock offs are good choices) along with the Martin (Jem) hazers are a better choice, although still pricey. But to say that a fogger with a fan is the same, is really pushing it. Even with a fan, you aren't making the particulate any smaller. Fog will decrease the visibility of the performers, but essentially will work the same as haze for laser use..

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    So are most low-cost 'hazers' - still works well though, shows up beams just fine and uses very little fluid. Good for an indoor venue up to 500 capacity. Quality of effect very dependent on fluid used though, the more expensive 'long hang' type is worth the extra cost.

According to Wikipedia,

Quote Originally Posted by ltaudi1 View Post
    I have a hell of a hazer setup that I would be willing to trade, it is an american dj compressor based haze generator with a few alterations. first off the internal compressor pump has been removed and is replaced by a larger 1hp pump in a seporate box with cooling and air line to hide the loud pump. the pump in these unit were loud from the factory and not good for use on a stage. which is what started this project. since ive been using it i bought a df50 and no longer have use for this setup, output is compariable to a df50 but absolutly silent at point of haze creation. I woiuld be willing to make a trade for a laser of some real power, im growing weary of my 150mw greenie.
    very interesting!
    can you explain a little(or a lot,) further?
    is it the new pump that needs a cooling line?
    what do you use for a pressurized line from the pump?

if you have the time to post details like what pump you use and where to source parts for this project,i am very interested in doing this to my amdj hazer.
    pics?

i have the amdj hazer and i think it would be perfect for in home use.
    cheap new-$399us..
    it works well for small clubs too.
    you can leave it running and not over do it for the patrons.

Graham
    Im sure we would all like a hazer over a fogger but I would also like a Ferrari instead of my austin metro.
    It depends on what you can afford. I would not - for bedroom/party use - spend several hunderd pounds when I could get a good branded smoke machine (fogger) for a decent price which in those enviroments would do an adequate job. I bought a Martin Magnum 550 off ebay just about 18months ago and its well better than some of the cheezy soundlab types around and not much dearer. I paid £70 inc 5 litres of juice which I have only just finished.
    Yep there is no doubt a hazer is the best option but do you really *need* one to pay 5 times the money which you may not have or could spend on more photons software scanners etc etc etc.

I know what I would do - cos ive done it.

If you get to a point where you can get people to pay for shows and are earning a little money then you can invest. We all have to start somewhere and that does not always need to be at the top. If you just have to have a hazer then why also do you not *have* to have Pangolin LD2000 and several watts of RGB with CT6215 scanners and a pro beam table?

just my humble...

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Well I had a ultra high cfm pump lying around im not sure the exact output but I know its at least 5 fold the regular noisy stock pump, so i mounted it into a road case and put a fan in blowing in to cool it and a jack on the side to run through 200ft of air line, well 2 100 foot sections in case i want the semi loud apparatus far away in another part of the building. and there is a jack on the hazer as well which powers the shotgun effect nozzle inside of the hazer. For the line i just used standard soft air tool hose and a regulator set to 80psi on the pump, so when the hazer is not using as much as the pump puts out it shuts it down till the line de compresses to 80psi I will take some pics this week, its a really easy project, just takes some time.

Your right Rob. It is money that can be better spent. I don't want the best of the best but I don't want to compromse too much. I havent got my blue yet so I shouldnt even be thinking about hazers. I probably get a smoke machine. Hey I saw a post a while back on another forum saying somthing like "Now that the smoking ban is in, are clubs going to use smoke machine' HAHAHAH

In some humidifiers there is an ultrasonic atomizer that produces a haze-like cloud. Is this a similar technique to a hazer, or could it be used as one (small-scale)?

This ultrasonic fog you are talking about is really cool, but really useless for a fog/haze type of effect. It creates a TON of moisture, something you dont really want near your projector and it dissipates REALLY quickly.

Just a side note, the water jet that is created by it really hurts if you put your finger near it... its not an electric shock... more like a burn, I assume its like a microwave burn (can anyone verify this for me?)

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    In some humidifiers there is an ultrasonic atomizer that produces a haze-like cloud. Is this a similar technique to a hazer, or could it be used as one (small-scale)?

yeah, the ultrasonic enegry gets transferred to your finger and it's a sub-surface burn. With focusing, I could melt the side of a milk carton underwater with the beam from this transducer.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting to use water, only the typical glycol fluid that is used in a fog machine.