Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted:: HAZER

Haha... yeah I figured that the burning sensation wasn't a good thing. Just out of curiosity, how do those work? Is it really high frequency vibrations? In theory would one of those work for an ultrasonic cleaning bath?

Cool

I've been thinking about those things too... If I understand the physics behind them, then they *should* work as a hazer if you submerged it in fog/haze fluid. As I understand it, it's basically an ultrasonic transducer - not at all unlike what you'd find in a parts washer (only much lower power and insanely higher frequency, up into the Mhz) - mounted to some sort of reflector to concentrate the energy. The particle size of the drops produced are in the range of 1 to 10 microns (cubed), so that's right in the ball park for a good hazer.

I've been tempted to pick up one of the cheap ones they sell at the novelty shop in the mall just to try it. (I'm talking about the little ones that are about the size of a hockey puck and are designed to sit in a dish of water...) Unfortunately, I never seem to remember to look for them when I'm actually in the mall. (And it's not like I go to the mall all that often these days... With the C-mas rush on I try to stay the hell away from there!)

Still, I might just need to brave the crowds next weekend and pick one up. (They only cost like 19 or 20 bucks...) I'm thinking you could have a small pool of fluid and a low velocity fan blowing gently across the surface to carry away the particles... Like any hazer, you'd have to start it up and let it run for a while to get the room full of haze, but once you did you'd be set for quite a while.

Then again, this site talks about modifying a room humidifier to create water fog that will fill a trash can! Wonder what one of those things would do with fog juice in it?

Or what about one of these things as a cheaper alternative to a DF-50? Think it would void the warranty if you filled it with haze fluid instead of water?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Haha... yeah I figured that the burning sensation wasn't a good thing. Just out of curiosity, how do those work? Is it really high frequency vibrations? In theory would one of those work for an ultrasonic cleaning bath?
    I did do this, to make a ultrasonic cleaner bath for parts, but found that it didn't create cavitation around parts and jewelry, and the beam is only about dime size, so you have to place the part to be cleaned in a rather small area. All in all it was only slightly effective.

They can be found in lawn and garden sections for artificial waterfalls to give it 'atmosphere'.