Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Show Off's

Thanks for the explanation Rob.

He would show his friends all the expensive equipment, then play that show and watch their reaction...
    Bet that was fun, I like doing things like that

I've done it once. The guy was a dick. Mucking my DSP and my projectors. That he can get the same stuff of the ebay for 500$. So I decided to show him some cheesy made show. He was.... I can do that with a 100$ projector. I feed his ego for about a few minutes and then suddenly swapped another full blow full color animation. He just left. Probably understood that I made a fun of him.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post

Now, Steve, tranquilo, buddy! For about $2K (or less) you, too can have one of these older 'mr coffee'-style (the percolator, not the PL member! laserscope L-fold models to mod (I can show you how for free! and be blazing 25W around your shop in no time (with goggles, of course! - life is just not complete till all the neighbors think you're a friek, right?? - ciao
    - j
    Hey I want on the list to...

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
    Hey I want on the list to...
    Hey Aseras - PM-me yer email, I'll send ya a PDF with a basic overview and some contaxts for where to buy, etc - peace..
    - j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    The really funny part is that David created that show as a joke... He spend all this money on a nice projector and a full-blown Pangolin LD-2000 setup, and then he made a show of simple abstracts that you could easily replicate with nothing more than a couple DC hobby motors and some cheap mirrors. He actually went out of his way to make the show look as cheezy as possible.

The setup went like this: He would show his friends all the expensive equipment, then play that show and watch their reaction...

The problem is, the joke sometimes backfired. Turns out that more than a few people really liked the show! Of course, once he loaded up a "real" show, they were totally blown away, but the point is that even simple effects can sometimes impress the uninitiated...

I had one of the American DJ "Window Baby" units once upon a time, and yeah, it was just like the laser crab today. Couple cheap motors with small mirrors and a 5 mw 660 nm diode... But what the hell, it was a laser, and back then that's all that mattered.

Adam

Toward the end it was clear that it was done on a scanner system, with sharp corners showing up and more or less synchronised modulation. Still, it was kind of a retro 'shout out' to old old style projection. Although simple and by some standards cheesy, it's no less art.

I built a ~1W RGB projector way back when PL was just getting started. I'm too lazy to find the thread now, but I assume it's still around and there are some good pictures of the projector there. It's got 2 of Marconi's >225mw 660nm red lasers, 250mw of 473nm blue and 250mw of 532nm green and Cambridge 6215 scanners. I have done a bunch of shows with it since then. I really should take more pictures, but when I'm doing a show I'm usually either paranoid about someone messing with the expensive equipment or drunk and trying to impress the girls and end up forgetting to get the camera out. Anyway, here are some pictures from a recent warehouse party (what we call raves these days)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2720641...7603130484977/

I just got a last minute NYE gig at the AN-TEN-NAE party in SF. Woot!

http://an-ten-nae.net/

Cool Finally done....

Here is a pic of the 2 projectors on top of another. The 1.5 W unit is on the bottom....the 300mw rgb is on top. No smoke or haze.....will post better pix soon....still testing and one more to build. The big guy just is just awesome to see the beams from it. Still losing almost 80mw of just 473nm from the mirrors on the DT-40's. Anyone know if Jian has a better mirror set?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2419.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Here is a pic of the 2 projectors on top of another. The 1.5 W unit is on the bottom....the 300mw rgb is on top. No smoke or haze.....will post better pix soon....still testing and one more to build. The big guy just is just awesome to see the beams from it. Still losing almost 80mw of just 473nm from the mirrors on the DT-40's. Anyone know if Jian has a better mirror set?
    Need smoke! I wanna see some pics thru smoke please
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Anyone know if Jian has a better mirror set?
    You might wanna ask Joachim at JM - he uses the DT's for one of his scan sets, and replaces the mirrors AFAIK
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

OK Dave here ya go....from the wifes camera....she has a much better cam. The floyd pyramid is drawn by me and ...seen from outside then inside. It is much brighter in person though....I have been pleased with it for a couple of weeks now from the work that went into it. I have a few things to service so it is apart again to some extent....adding and changing a few things....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PANA2408.JPG  

PANA2409.JPG  

PANA2415.JPG  

PANA2414.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich