Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Grounding

Default Chassis Grounding

I was thinking of using 2 prong instead of 3 prong 110V cord/ plug on my next projector build-- any biggie? Any legalities?
    (I know why there's a ground- If anything shorts to gnd it may make the chassis hot)
    Does everybody run grounded projector cases? -or not..
    (We 'float' our 'scopes at work for a reason.. ) - I know, unrelated..
    Just curious .. how many run grounds and how many not..

When dealing with things mounted to metal I think it makes sense to use a ground.

Cool

Yeah, I grounded mine. Best management practices and all that. I think you ought to ground yours as well Steve. It *is* a safety concern. Besides, if you ever sell it, people are going to expect it to be grounded.

Why are you thinking about not grounding it?

Adam

Over here in the UK, all electrical appliances must be earthed or double insulated, I would tink it would be difficult to double insulate a projector.

Jim

I just have a good long length of 2 conductor high quality heater -type cord. Nice and flexible and sturdy. If the input transformers were double insulated from the chassis, everything else is low voltage (unless 120V fans and interlock switches etc are used..)
    I'll probably ground it anyway.
    I was also thinking about gnd loops and noise issues in case of a building gnd fault. I usually dont carry a GFCI around

Steve, I can get you one of the sockets and the wire (its somewhere between 10 and 20 feet) to go with it like the one on this auction, it will take 40amps of 110. Free of charge, just pay shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330191500994

Default Grounding

Hello,

The one I have built is also grounded:

http://www.technoroam.sk/lasershow/d.../P1_WIRING.PDF

Greetings

pishtak

www.technoroam.sk/lasershow

Thanks Dream Beamz, I do have 3 conductor cable, I was just wondering if everybody grounds their case.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Thanks Dream Beamz, I do have 3 conductor cable, I was just wondering if everybody grounds their case.
    look closely, that is not the normal cable you are thinking about. The plug I am referring to is meant for 20amps of 220vac but I use for 40amps of 110 when needed

I'm not running a gas laser here, just a small 1/2 watt diode/dpss so a couple of amps @120V thru the cord should give me plenty of current to work with after the transformer/ psu coverts it to lower voltage/ higher current.

BTW- I looked around the house to see the appliances that run 2-wire ungrounded and there was the stereo receiver, dvd burner, vcr, a box fan, george foreman grill and several other things I dont have time to list right now..