Thread: Intensity control?

Cool Intensity control?

Ok - so I'm browsing through the Meridith Instruments site, because they always seem to have cool shit on sale, and what do I find? This little beauty.

So, whatcha think? Could that be used to adjust the intensity of a white light beam? I'm thinking that it works a lot like the instant-dark windows that go from clear to dark when you apply voltage. Maybe some polarization-rotation going on as well? Attenuation ratio of 50:1! That's pretty damn cool for only 20 bucks...

I'm not looking to make a TTL rig into an analog one. Just looking for a quick and dirty way (apart from an ND filter) to adjust the brightness of the final beam before it hits the scanners.

So, can anyone think of a reason why it won't work?

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

pretty godd for 20 bucks. my gm20's in my ion rigs always doubled as a attenuator with an analog fader-
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post

So, can anyone think of a reason why it won't work?

Adam
    I know speed is an issue for LCD type darkening windows. But for $20 I would give it a try.

Cool

Yeah, for 20 bucks I figure I can't go wrong...

Speed isn't all that important. I've still got the blanking circuits for that. I was just looking for another way to attenuate the beam. Actually, I wasn't specifically "looking" for anything, but that's the first idea that popped into my head when I saw that thing.

I think I'll buy one and play with it.

Adam