Thread: Laser Weapon article on Wired

Default Laser Weapon article on Wired

With the prevalence of non lethal weapons like Tasers becoming acceptable in law enforcment, the next step are hand held lasers on steroids like this mentionned on Wired magazine as follows " http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscell...2/st_dangerous "

Another example of the Oxy-Moron " Military Intelligence " at work.
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Angry

Dodgy !!
    All it weill take is some MP to read that and then find out that peeps like us can buy lasers many times that power without any restrictions then they'll introduce legislation etc. effectively banning them for the ordinary man in the street.

Now would be a good time to stockpile those megawatt babies !!

Cool

Yeah, I saw that on Digg earlier. Sounded like they tried to make it more dangerous than it really was. I mean come on... "The Photonic Distruptor?" Puleeze... Only 105 mw? Lame, lame, lame.

You want a really dangerous laser that is both small and affordable? How about a 5 watt 808 nm diode? That still wouldn't qualify as a "disruptor" in my book, but it sure as hell has the potential to blind people. (Not to mention burn things...)

I agree that looser articles like that only hurt our cause though.

Adam

This laser is borderline illegal. With an output of 105 milliwatts, it's 21 times more powerful than your average presentation pointer. It was designed for SWAT and military use in nonlethal takedowns. The adjustable-focus green ray will do permanent retinal damage to anyone within about 60 feet, visually disorients people up to 1,150 feet away, and illuminates objects almost 2 miles out.

105mw!! I roll on the floor laughing my brain out. Sir We will blind you with out 105mw.....get my 40W Mr Officer.

532nm protective goggles.
    and Taser prove clothes and some martial art skills and you will be fine.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Don't forget that, at least in the US, the cops also cary firearms. So if they can't blind you with their pathetic laser, or tase you through your conductive-exterior, insulated-interior, taser-proof clothing, they'll just pop a cap in your ass and be done with it.

Adam

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Dodgy !!
    All it weill take is some MP to read that and then find out that peeps like us can buy lasers many times that power without any restrictions then they'll introduce legislation etc. effectively banning them for the ordinary man in the street.

Now would be a good time to stockpile those megawatt babies !!
    I agree that 105 milliwatts is a JOKE but sure enough some politician is going to digest their science from that article and before you know it laserists are going to need a weapon's license to Import/Export or own a laser.

I.E, Starting with the paranoid lot in US Homeland security as a good example.
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

my grandmother was canadian, since i've got the lingo down, it may be time to move on up to toronto-

ever cracked ehh !
    go big or go home

they just need to take the IR filter out, that way that have a green beam to aim and a ton more IR behind it.

Some of you guys saw the 800mw herc I brought out to flem 1.5

That scares me much more then the 1 watt 808 hades ( or even more powerful IR lasers I have) me and daedal were playing with in the back

It's not really useful for actually doing anything but it's working AWESOME in a small version of the AUV we are building for 3d underwater imaging. We went from something the size of a refridgerator with the 400mw 457 MG to something the size of a 2 liter of soda along with better backscatter filtering and MUCH faster computers.