Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser TV: a good source for lasers?

Default Laser TV: a good source for lasers?

Laser TV should arrive on the commercial market soon. First it will replace large expensive plasma TV's (screens) and later LCD TVs. When laser TV hits mass market price should compare to that of other flat screen TV's. An expensive high end LCD TV now costs 3000 euro, imagine getting high power, high quality R, G and B lasers for that.... First models can have as much as 3 watt per laser (where did I read that?), maybe that will be less for smaller laser TVs and when technology has further developed. But even for 3 1 watt lasers, 3000 euro is a bargain. I wonder how long we have to wait before we can order laserTVs to disect in stead of ps3 modules

Link on Coherent website:
    http://www.coherent.com/flash/Laser_TV_KRON

I saw the same Coheren laser heads in a projector setup in Munchen, they were 3-5W laser heads in an impressive green-yellow projector:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/DrZoof/P...13869988461826

Novalux has some interesting papers online:
    http://www.novalux.com/display/solidstatergb.php

cheers,
    Z.
    Last edited by Zoof; 12-08-2007 at 05:01.

Hi Zoof
    I was quite excited by the prospect of laser tvs a few years ago but nothing seems to have materialsed on to the market and if you read up a lot of the stuff from a few years ago it should have been here by now.

I lost faith when i read one of the comapanies involved was being sued as they released a lot of the marketing stuff just before they went public and released shares .....and nothings ever happened on the project its like it was one big hype to inflate share prices

I have not read anything for years thats upto date and show any recent activity in this project ..have you ?

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hi Paul,

actually I've just started looking into this. It seems that the technology is here but probably is still too pricy. It wouldn't be the first time that marketing types have over-anticipated the pace of technology. Maybe the average consumer likes the flatness of LCD so much that the larger laser TV will never be of interest to mass markets... Maybe movie theatre's could be interested in laser projection for the better color saturation, it would be about time they went digital too

We'll see what happens. I know that the first laser TV I buy will be taken apart

I was told that in 2008 the laser-TV was going to be just as normal like the Plasma is today ... hmmz..

I still dont figure out how it works..
    And how they manage to get so high power blue with so low cost (as they say)

Mass market i guess ..TV are made by the millions , if the diodes are made by the millions da price comes down !

Zoof and Liteglow / Cruch ... you two guys are but short cheap flight from the UK laser meeting in ealry feb .. either of you considering coming over ?

If you say yes i will let ya buy a raffle ticket hehehe

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Mass market i guess ..TV are made by the millions , if the diodes are made by the millions da price comes down !

Zoof and Liteglow / Cruch ... you two guys are but short cheap flight from the UK laser meeting in ealry feb .. either of you considering coming over ?

If you say yes i will let ya buy a raffle ticket hehehe

PAUL
    I would like to, and have considered it but I've already spent my laser budget till 2010 so it is a no go for me.
    Maybe next meet I'll join the elf club

Default Not quite, but something to watch for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Laser TV...imagine getting high power, high quality R, G and B lasers for that.... First models can have as much as 3 watt per laser (where did I read that?),
    Hi Zoof -

This was taken from a post on the ILDA forums, (I have been following the intriguing 'Laser-TV engine' stories, as well, for the same reasons! ) by, I believe, our dear own Banthai (Karl Dawson):

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    These new laser TVs will use an compact RGB module from Novalux- its the size of a matchbox and emits 465nM 532nM 620nM

now the amazing bit is the power output 465 @ 3W 532@ 3W and 620@ 750mW

the artical about this amazing hardware is here

http://optics.org/articles/news/12/8/39/1

hmmmm just spent a few thousand dollars on 1.2W of RGB ... should have spent it on women and wild nights out ..... and bought one of these TVs in 2007 and stripped it down
    (sure SOUNDS like Karl, right? - Anyhoo, in the follow-up posts on ILDA, there was this little bit of 'reality-check' (from I believe, Greg Makhov of LSDI):

"One aspect of the on-going development of laser sources for laser TV is an optical aspect called Entendue. Basically, a DLP chip illuminated by lasers does not require the same beam characteristics as we might desire for laser display. So, instead of getting cheap high power RGB lasers via this channel, the lasers may be essentially useless to us.

Another way of looking at this is a factor called mm-mr (millimeter-milliradian). Most of the gas lasers were around 2 mm-mr, the new DPSS/Diode lasers may be as high as 3 mm-mr, but some of the RGB lasers developed as video lightsources are much higher. You can make the beam smaller, but the divergence will increase. Or you can make the divergence smaller, but the beam will get larger.

So, yes, we may see watts of light available for low dollars, but this may not be particularly useful to for our application."

...essentially, really cheap, powerful 'laser flashlights' which (as I understand) is the essence of the 'laser tv' concept - lasers, not for-use with 'raster scanning' technology, where you'd NEED a super-tight beam, but as super-efficient illumination sources for the DLP (or LCD in some cases)... -

One small 'ray' of hope COULD lie in this little snippet: ..." Or you can make the divergence smaller, but the beam will get larger...." well, if the entire thing is the size of a MATCHBOOK - how stinkin' big can the beam be?? 7-8mm? As long as it was not like 30mRad, it might not be so horrible, especially for atmos / beam shows, ya know? If I remember correctly, CVs (copper vapors) are like 4-6mRad (@ 14mm!!) and KTPs can be 3-8mRad (@ 8-10mm) or more, and they are not "useless" for what they are intended for...Ok, so it would only be good for graphics on the side of Mt Fuji, but for the price, it could just make all our struggling with dicros and importers and TE-coolers - all for a watt-n-change of WL, rather 'useless' ... I'll do some 'beam-char-homework' and report...

On the other hand - if all we had to do was line up a little 'matchbox' to a pair of galvos, and a 9-volt battery - where's the fun in that? - Also, what about BLANKING / Color Selection / Modulation... more than just 'watts' to think about...

*Sigh*, I know...BUT ...MAYBE, JUUUST MAYBE, someone in the laser display industry, with boku bux (Bill Benner? Hugo Bunk? Floyd from LFI, etc, etc) might, in the future, strike the 'development match' with one of these amazing techno-companies, to co-develop OPTICS/cavity-design variants for - US...THEN we'd have something to look forward to...

Certainly, if any of us here, GETS one of these, and hacks it - we want a FULL REPORT, OK?????

- j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 12-11-2007 at 00:16. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Ah I see, well something like that was to be excepted.

So - has anyone tried hacking a DLP projector and feeding it with a laser instead of the internal discharge lamp?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    So - has anyone tried hacking a DLP projector and feeding it with a laser instead of the internal discharge lamp?
    Hey green (great avatar, BTW! -

Well, I know that I sure don't have that kind of $$ to go blowing, but if someone did, well, I think that since you'd have to actually expand your beam, (so it was more of a 'flashlight' (as with the current little units) with a fiber, or acromat) I doubt anyone would wanna go thru the trouble of either running water + 3Ø for an ion to get 3-4W -OR- use their $35K+ 4W DPSS WL, just to do the same - would seem rather, well - WHY??? But if you do it sometime - PIX, man!!!

and hey, Zoof -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Ah I see, well something like that was to be excepted.
    Well, like I said, one small 'ray' of hope COULD lie in discovering what the actual beam char's ARE...as long as it's not a 25mm beam at 30mRad, it could likely serve for at least atmos and beam work...according to the specs they show on the site, it SEEMS like it would be like 6+Watts of Whitelight (once all RGB was combined) - and 6W of WL would not be so horrible for beams/fans/sines, etc...but then again, color control? modulation?

I haven't been able to find out anything as of yet - not sure if they've ever even TRIED to make a 'beam' with these things of the caliber that we'd want - they have no need to, ya know? - but certainly worth investigating / following...

Maybe if we all collectively pray to the LaserGods...

- j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...