Thread: Itronix Laptop

Thumbs down Itronix Laptop

Hi All, just wanted to let you know what a piece of crap these refurbs are.
    I got one to power my laser because I thought the touchscreen and luminous keypad would be handy in the party atmosphere. Also the tough body armour form knocks and spills. And at £300 who could argue.

http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/scpages/...aptopcf27.html

I got one about 2 weeks ago. It looked a state. I mean it was second hand but this looked like it had been sleeping rough. The battery didn't work without the power cable and I got no CD like was stated in the list of thing to get. I also expecting to get touch screen and luminous keys. Neither worked so I sent it back to sterlingxs and got a replacement in 3 days. The replacement was a little better as the touch screen works but the luminous keys still don't work. The battery works for about 15 mins so that's crap.
    I put the stuff from the FB3 Eval kit on it. Seemed to load up ok but then crashed. I thought it might have been me as I was using 3D Draw making shapes using the touch screen. I guess it was to much for the weak processor (Pentium 3) and small memory (256) to handle. I couldn't even do a Crtl Alt Del to get out of it, so holding the power button down, I tried again.
    It crashed again just opening and using 3D Draw.
    I'm going to see if I can send it back and get a refund because it's obvious it can't handle anything more than sending email, and who needs touch screen to do that?

Booo

Graham

I swear you Brits and your British politeness. This guy is pulling your hmmm.... off. 300 Pounds!!!! You can get a Dual core 2.0Ghz 256MB video card with 1 Gig ram DVD writer and 15" Screen for that money in Canada! This laptop here costs about 100$-150$ US....means about 80 Pounds.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

......that makes me sick....This laptop is going back tommorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    I swear you Brits and your British politeness. This guy is pulling your hmmm.... off. 300 Pounds!!!! You can get a Dual core 2.0Ghz 256MB video card with 1 Gig ram DVD writer and 15" Screen for that money in Canada! This laptop here costs about 100$-150$ US....means about 80 Pounds.
    Yeah, 300 pounds is insane for a beat up CF 27 with a dead battery, you can get them far cheaper off eBay. Its not really fair to compare the specs of a toughbook to a regular laptop though between the touchscreen and ruggidization.

I paid ~$2.8k for a CF 74 toughbook 18 months back - 1.84Ghz dual core, 1Gb RAM, integrated graphics, 80Gb hard drive. Definitely not a lot of performance for the price. I'm glad I bought it though as even being semi-ruggedized, I've nearly destroyed this laptop. If I had bought anything other than a toughbook I would probably be on my 3rd laptop by now and have faced headaches of lost data (of course, if you treat your stuff well a toughbook is completely unnecessary). Not to mention its always fun to show off the touchscreen =D

PS: The CF 27s come in touch and non-touch screen models. Sounds like he tried to rip you off the first time by sending you one of the much cheaper non-touch models.

I've be using a normal HP laptop for more than 3 years now on-the-road, from small to large gigs, from dance-events to schoolparties and no problems at all...

I use special mobile studio backpack. It has all the protection I need on the road. On site I usually have a very safe place to sit and put my stuff.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!