Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Audience Scanning??

Pink Floyd or a Dead concert there is a 100% chance your audience is on drugs. Everyone knows this as it is common knowledge.
    Thats a rediculous statement. I took 1 hit off a joint when I was 15, aside from that, I've never done drugs my entire life and I enjoy going to as many pink floyd laser shows as I can....

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Thats a rediculous statement. I took 1 hit off a joint when I was 15, aside from that, I've never done drugs my entire life and I enjoy going to as many pink floyd laser shows as I can....
    Did you inhale?

Just kidding......

Yes, since you asked. Didn't do anything for me. And I have my brother to thank for the experience...

Default got an interesting client e-mail today on this subject

was about 30 feet in front and as you will see, it looks like he scans the entire room on the vertical and horizontal. I am assuming that this kind of scanning is not permitted if there is an audience, but instead would have to stay above the audience on a perpendicular plane or higher. Please advise if I am wrong as I did find some new information today on an ilda website... www.laserist.org which stated that audience scanning is allowed now in the US. Just wondering as all other research over the last few weeks have always said otherwise

-------
    The quote above was a small section of an E-mail sent by an interested client,

Everything seems fine but then The client had a conversation with my offices today and some how is confused with the subject of having a United States C.D.R.H. Variance allows Audience Scanning after he saw a laser rental company using one of those 400mW dmx China projectors and confirmed it on the web site listed in the pasted E-mail. I think the site has the right information when listing the company that can like Pangolin in Florida. I have a very bad flu so my mind is fried so please forgive my spelling due to my 102.3 fever... just some food for thoughts

what I wrote does'nt look right but I'm going back to bed now hope some of you may understand my ramble drabble sick talk but the show must go one...

Take care all
    Marcus

Smile

*Technically* audience scanning has never been completely illegal here in the US. It's just been such a monumental pain in the ass to get a CDRH variance approved that will allow you to do it that few (if any) companies have bothered to mess with it. Pangolin was one of the first (if not the first) to get a variance approved for full audience scanning, and that took them 2 years! They have a special projector that they use, complete with a very nasty scan-safe board they designed, a huge, heavy lens to diverge the beam, and a bunch of other safety elements built-in to the show.

I believe there are one or two other companies now that have audience-scanning variances here in the US as well. (Can't remember who I was talking to recently, but someone was telling me about those other firms a month or two ago...) Still, it's very limited here.

The US safety standards are *extremely* conservative. It's commonplace to have shows performed abroad (especially in Europe) where audience scanning is performed with far less concern over the MPE. And yet you don't hear about a rash of laser-related eye injuries... (The so-called "where are the bodies" argument.) I'm not advocating the reckless use of lasers, mind you. But I think it's abundantly clear that the US standards are *more* than conservative enough to protect the audience. As for the European shows, well, I can't speak for their safety because not all operators there adhere to the same standards.

But it does seem odd that there are so few reported injuries, even when at least *some* of the shows in Europe are clearly scanning the audience with what most people would consider to be dangerous levels of laser radiation.

Adam

Default Is diode 3W full RGB laser safe for audience scanning?

Hallo,
    iam working for small company in czech republic. I am about half a year in bussiness and never worked with the lasers before. After what i read in this forum abou laser safety Iam starting to worry about using 3W full color SPECTRUM 2000 made by Kvant for audience scanning.

link for detailed specification here: http://www.lasershow.sk/loadproduct.php?id=29

My collegues are arguing that this laser is not real laser, but diode projector and that this is safe and noproblem. But i have experience with holes in my black velvet, which iam using for projecting in my laser room (3m distance), when i make one white point.
    Iam really not sure about safety.

Can u proffesionals please tell me if my apprehensions are reasonable or not. Thank you
    Last edited by girk; 08-26-2008 at 03:32.

Of course its a real laser

You sound a lot more intelegent than your collegues and your worries are very true

can you imagine what those velvet burns could do to your eyes

im not going to say that this laser is unsafe for audience scanning but without precautions it certainly is ...

with running the right software to can change the attenuation of the beams in audience zones so that the MPE levels fall below the safe requirements

Personaly ... if you dont understand about MPEs or laser Safety then DONT Audience scan .... easy as that

its good you visit here to this forum .... there will be lots of people to help guide you through Laser safety

all the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by girk View Post
    Hallo,
    iam working for small company in czech republic. I am about half a year in bussiness and never worked with the lasers before. After what i read in this forum abou laser safety Iam starting to worry about using 3W full color SPECTRUM 2000 made by Kvant for audience scanning.

link for detailed specification here: http://www.lasershow.sk/loadproduct.php?id=29

My collegues are arguing that this laser is not real laser, but diode projector and that this is safe and noproblem. But i have experience with holes in my black velvet, which iam using for projecting in my laser room (3m distance), when i make one white point.
    Iam really not sure about safety.

Can u proffesionals please tell me if my apprehensions are reasonable or not. Thank you
    Don't do lasershows in total darkness. Always have some ambient light.
    Mixing with bright moving heads is always a good way.
    Don't do static beams. Always scan. Don't use beams at all extept for above the head beam shows. Put Laser as far as you can. 20-30meters is a good start. Let people's eyes rest...do some audience scaning and then do some above the head scanning. If you have high venue don't do audience scanning at all. Trust me it looks just as beautiful.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    lol:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!