Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Audience Scanning??

Hi Girk,

Lasers can most definitely be dangerous under the wrong circumstances. As you have already discovered, they can actually start fires. And yes, as Karl wrote, they can pose a significant occular hazzard under the wrong circumstances.

For anyone doing audience scanning, I would highly recommend you read two things:
    http://www.pangolin.com/resguide09a.htm
    and
    http://www.pangolin.com/resguide09b.htm

The first one is an article that originally appeared in The Laserist magazine around 10 years ago, and has undergone some minor edits over the years. In fact, this article was updated very recently, providing a simplified approach to audience scanning evaluation.

Note that the simplified approach can only be used IF it can be guaranteed that the minimum pulse width across the eye is 1 millisecond or faster AND the irradiance is somewhere between 5 and 10 milliwatts per square centimeter. Note that I used the word "guaranteed" above. These conditions need to be guaranteed under all circumstances, even unforeseen circumstances. Also note that this generally means that you will need to increase the divergence of the laser projector. This could be done simply with a negative (i.e. concave) lens placed at the exit aperture of the laser projector.

Best regards,

William Benner

great articles! thank you for sharing that!
    -Josh

LaserVisuals are doing a laser saftey course on the 13th October in Kent.

http://www.laservisuals.com/training

Graham

" LaserVisuals are doing a laser saftey course on the 13th October in Kent.
    http://www.laservisuals.com/training "

Yip been there done that in 07 , interesting and useful day ....... just wanted to throw a comment to anyone considering attending - you leave with nice certificate ( verifyable thru their website ) and a handbook of easily 150 pages long - and thats for a days course - so it can be quite heavy going if you get bogged down in the calculations and the intracities of H&S and CE complainces .......but i sat down just a week or so ago and read over the entire manual and it all seems so much easier now , so much more familiar and acheivable - so it seems a valueable day at the time but even more so now so i highly recommend this course , and james is a sterling chap too ! and you will meet some fello laserisit to chew the fat with - always good :-)

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I have a very good video of Bill's safety presentations at SELEM. I have those along with Patrick's ILDA history on a DVD, but am sending all of my RAW SELEM video to "the guy upstairs" so he can play with it and get it on the PL server in a nice format that is shareable. I have it all on a hard drive, ready to send away. I would offer copies of DVDs, but I do not have the facilities to make many copies.

@fleacom

That is an awesome picture... I want a poster of it to put in my cube at work.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

""but I do not have the facilities to make many copies""

Mr Connelly , where is ya when we need ya ...no doubt fiddling with an RGB in a corner somewhere ...UKLEMs official unofficial photographer will no doubt sort that oot :-)
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers