Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Audience Scanning??

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

we'll have to check your peripheral, but your right, you can take a hit 100X hotter then class IIA and survive it, 9999 times out of 10,000. The lower classification rules are set up in such a way that its a 1 in 10,000 risk. So if you scan the same flat scan 1000 times over that 7 mm dia meter eye, you may be down to 1 in 10.

The aiming beams in a eye surg system can go as high as 7 mW, most are 3.5 mW It takes 200 mW minimum of argon to really work on a retina, often as much as 400, depending on spot size. So you can see why they picked 350 microwatts and .1 mW.

I just dont want to see it become, a big boys only club, ie if its 40 grand and ilda corporate membership to play the game, I'm out. 3-5K one time and insurance, plus a nist tracable power meter is reasonable. Above that, its a ripoff.

what people miss is you cant have a fixed flat scan, you need to even keep that moving, and somewhat randomly, so it never dwells in one place for more then one 7 mm wide scan at the audience position. I've attended courses on the math, and it could be built into software , provided, A you have a power meter built into the laser, B you have a know diameter, C. You have a failsafe D. You have a industry standardized and documented scan pattern.

just my 10 cents (hey, inflation is bad!)

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-13-2007 at 11:07.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I am sure if you googled it you would find a few pictures of the Giant 3 dimensional laser prism that has a laser beam of diffracted light coming out of one side that scans the crowd (word on the street - its a 100w custom Arctos unit!!!!)[/QUOTE]

Its more like 100 watts of laser total, and maybe a 8 watt arctos unit in the parts that scan the audience. I can call george and ask him, if need be.

Steve Roberts

Yeah, I think the 100w portion was the part that actually made the prism.

But if you could find out the portion that scanned the audience I would be interested to know. If he is willing to provide any pictures of the beast... well that would be just awesome!

I saw it on the ground, but had no idea what it was, I was (at the time) amazed by the 4 million dollar LED HD video wall!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I am sure if you googled it you would find a few pictures of the Giant 3 dimensional laser prism that has a laser beam of diffracted light coming out of one side that scans the crowd (word on the street - its a 100w custom Arctos unit!!!!)
    Its more like 100 watts of laser total, and maybe a 8 watt arctos unit in the parts that scan the audience. I can call george and ask him, if need be.

Steve Roberts

Default There is a way to scan the crowd through CDRH US

Mr Frank Mackison CDRH - FDA US

This is the person that can approve this type of scanning using class IV Systems.
    You must have a relationship with your worldwide governments to gain thier trust over time and years of paper trail's and notifications of events and amendments to variances and so on. This works with all goverments that your doing business of laser projections with clients. After time passes most will allow you to bypass some regulations with time lines, quick changes and special arrangements for scanning outside the normal presented cdrh regulation. The FAA works this way as well, lasers can be projected on Airport runways even with the Airport still open for air traffic if you know the right people in the government that can amend NTAM with TRI-CON. these are just some past issues we have run into and solved over time with good communications and relationships with all involved with a custom laser light show projection.

Hope this helps,

Marcus
    Last edited by Tribal Existance Prod.; 12-20-2007 at 20:05. Reason: forgot to add my name

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Existance Prod. View Post
    lasers can be projected on Airport runways even with the Airport still open for air traffic if you know the right people in the government that can amend NTAM with TRI-CON.
    Hmm I assume this is a bit of an exaggeration...

Default Not at all, the NTAM was filed 2007

It was for the Air Force, in that case. The FAA did tell me for the U.S. there can be special arrangements in many situations where the regulation restrains with aerial projections on AirPorts, even normal international airports can have runways, and large sections of airspace closed with the right set of phone calls and a large enough client for all the effort. It's all about the money.

If you have an event that is on a major scale and the situation is restricted by FAA AND CDRH regulations, we will help you and show you how this is done. It's all about the type of situation and what can be varianced for a one or two days, even a few hours of special arrangements with TRI-CON and the C.D.R.H. can make a special client happy and your booking completed without major hastle. Alot of phone calls are required though.

NTAM - in less than 10 days for submition - the regulation states 30 days
    FDA - CDRH - the FAA makes direct calls to the CDRH in cases when the law and regulations block light shows to allow the one time special show to be approved.

Hope this answers,
    Marcus

Default we have a copy of the NTAM

If you want a copy of the NTAM
    we can arrange for you to view it as the location/address of the laser light show was the air port.

Just in case you need.

Happy holidays

Marcus

Heh, I dont need any copies or anything... I believe you.

Of course anything can be done if the right amount of money is involved. I am sure if I had enough money I could do donuts in the presidential limo.

Of course I think having it done on the landing strip for the Air Force I am sure is much easier.

Doing it onto a public landing strip could bring the client, laserist, FDA, FAA, and a few others into some legal trouble... considering anyone in the planes landing got hit by the beam.

Hmmm this is an interesting conversation though...

So, forget about rules and regs for a second. At home in my garage, how much danger is it to look into my scanner with my 50mw green, 50mw blue, and 200mw red? Assuming of course that the beam is constantly moving? If the beam happens to swing across my eye and I going to have damage?

It depends on how fast, how often it hits your eye what the divergence is, if there are other lights on in the room etc.

If it is moving and just sweeps your eye at a few meters distance, you'll be fine, although it would probably be considered damaging.