Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Audience Scanning??

Default , thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Heh, I dont need any copies or anything... I believe you.

Of course anything can be done if the right amount of money is involved. I am sure if I had enough money I could do donuts in the presidential limo.

Of course I think having it done on the landing strip for the Air Force I am sure is much easier.

Doing it onto a public landing strip could bring the client, laserist, FDA, FAA, and a few others into some legal trouble... considering anyone in the planes landing got hit by the beam.

Hmmm this is an interesting conversation though...

Yes and very nice chat about many interesting topics, I really like this site. I have told some other large laser companies that we are friends with to join this site, it's hard to find people these days who have a brain. I'm very impressed with all of the effort in communications with people with this site.

Great job to all,

Happy holidays and seasons greetings.....

Marcus

Marcus those are very kind words. And I agree with every one of them! I ventured for years trying to find something half as good. Luckily I never settled anywhere until I found PL

Default I will pass on eyeball scortching

Hello all I am Skipp with UV99 Lasers.
    I have been doing lasers since 92 or 3.
    I come from the water cooled era.

A good friend of mine worked for a company called VISIX. They invented LASIK. Anyways he was an optical engineer on the project. Part of his duties was to do ablation testing on fresh pigs eyes. He would take the eyes and put them in a eye jig. He would then proceede to expose them to different levels of laser radiation. After exposure he would dissect them and document the damage.
    He clinically concluded that any laser light entering the eye does SOME permanent damage no matter what.
    Laser eye damage is also cumulative. You will probably not even notice your permanent eye damage as you have millions of little cone and rods to destroy.
    Repeated exposure over time will cause a "greying" or dimming of the vision. In other words your world will get darker.

I know from personal experience. I have a few minor holes in my eyes. In fact most laser guys I know that have been in the business 10 or more years have holes in their eyes including Brian at Cambridge Laser Laboratories. Most of these holes were produced by 1/4 watt argon lasers.
    I have been hit by my 3 watt yags and my 20 watt argon laser.

The 20 watt really hurt.
    You Guys who have scanned yourself with your 2 watt lasers should have your retinas photographed. You would be shocked to see all of the holes in them.

The reality is that if you(the average audience member) sees only one or two audience scanning shows in your life you will never notice your injuries.

However if you are a disco-biscuit munching up all night every weekend clubber... you might be in for a world of hurt.

The basic symptoms of ocular laser exposure are itchy eyes accompanied by a headache.

I think I will take a pass on the whole audience scanning thing no matter what Pangolin says.

The only good laser in the eye is no laser in the eye.
    Thanks,
    Skipp
    www.uv99.com

Quote Originally Posted by UV99LASER View Post
    He clinically concluded that any laser light entering the eye does SOME permanent damage no matter what.
    That statement is untrue.
    Maybe a 5W beam 2mm in diameter will probably make your eyeball explode, but, a 1mW beam 500 metres away with a diameter of 20mm will do no damage.

Jim

Default That is not correct

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Maybe a 5W beam 2mm in diameter will probably make your eyeball explode, but, a 1mW beam 500 metres away with a diameter of 20mm will do no damage.

Jim
    Ihave no vision in my left eye due to an aerial laser show in chicago usa in 2006 due to a scan from 150 foot away.

The doctor called it a photon flash, optic cells in the eye are basicly fried.

i'm am proof of large beams from photons direct can flash your vision into almost blind or very fuzzy vision just like me.

just my 5 cent comment.

happy holidays to all
    enjoy the rest from the bookings for a second.
    Marcus

Jim
    Until you have done the clinical experiments and can prove to me that a laser in the eye is safe I will trust the VISIX optical engineer who did the tests.

Continued laser exposure WILL cause permanent eye damage. It is CUMULATIVE.

Main Entry:cu·mu·la·tive Pronunciation: \ˈkyü-myə-lə-tiv, -ˌlā-\ Function:adjective Date:1605 1 a: made up of accumulated parts b: increasing by successive additions2: tending to prove the same point <cumulative evidence>3 a: taking effect upon completion of another penal sentence <a cumulative sentence> b: increasing in severity with repetition of the offense <cumulative penalty>4: formed by the addition of new material of the same kind <a cumulative book index>5: summing or integrating overall data or values of a random variable less than or less than or equal to a specified value <cumulative normal distribution> <cumulative frequency distribution>
    — cu·mu·la·tive·ly adverb
    — cu·mu·la·tive·ness noun

Believe who you want. We will see who sees in 30 years.
    Skipp

UV99-

just looked at your site and demo videos. BEAUTIFUL work!!! impressive clientelle!

what do you use currently for systems if you dont mind me asking?

Default extra information

Jim
    The laser in chicago usa was a 38.7 watt yag with a 5mm beam and at 150ft away the beam is around 8-10mm . It's not the beam size it's the high volume of photons that enter the eye and fry your optical cells not a burn though like hole. A hole can be burned at the lower beam sizes 1.2mR - 2.5mR ranges this is the holes but photon flashes are total exposure of eye with large beams.

an added one cent comment
    I'm done now thank you for listening.
    Have a great weekend.
    Marcus

I have,
    3 melles griots 3 watt 532
    4 Laserscope lasers 20 to 40 watts
    6 or 8 argon lasers 2.5 to 20 watts
    2 Argon Krypton(color) lasers 8 to 10 watts
    2 3 watt RGB diode lasers
    1 250mW coherent 532 laser
    1 600mW AiXiZ 532 laser.
    ect. ect. ect.
    I have more lasers to list but these are what I use to do shows.
    I think I have over 50 lasers in all.
    Skipp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new photos 175.jpg  

Nice list, if you ever care to part with anything I'll give you my addy

On a serious note. As far as the vision loss argument goes.

~40 watts of light into your eye will definitely cause some damage. I don't think there is any argument there. However, to say that a 1mW beam with a starting diameter of 20mm 500 meters away. With a divergence of .1mr we're taking negligible amounts of light entering the eye.

At that point I am sure staring into a 100w light bulb would do 100x the amount of damage and thats not even a laser...

While I think saying that NO damage (as an absolute) will occur is a false statement but it does become negligible. How long would you have to look into a 1mW beam 500 meters away to see any damage today... or 50 years from now? Probably a long time! But then to get hit by a multi-watt projector and lose vision and look back to say if I didn't look into that 1mW 500 meters away I might still be able to see... thats also pushing the argument into an extreme.

BTW Tribal, I was not directing that at you at all, I'm just using the multi-watt as an example, I hope you do not see that as being offensive.