Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasever help - wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Those 2 wires that connect to +5 and G are the blanking wires. Terminals on modulator (Power supply is a a different unit) is just aux 5V power to power whatever. Fan for example.
    Those terminals are common with the input plug and can be used to power the "modulator" (driver) in absence of the separate AC to DC power supply.

Also, while you can certain run a fan or two off those terminals, you can't power "whatever", because the AC to DC power supply is current-limited. You couldn't power a separate laser with it, for example.

Adam

Those terminals are all I use on the lasever units. May want to keep in mind, these drivers run at only 5V, so they take a mess of current, up to 5amps possibly. So you will want to use a wire that can handle over 5amps...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.JPG  

Hi Dave;

Exactly! That's the perfect picture. It illustrates my point; those terminals can either be used to supply power to the unit or to run power to something else (or both, as they do on your design with the fan underneath!) as they're common with the input plug. I've run my lasers that way before, and I had a feeling you were doing it as well. (Jem is doing it too, and I suspect MechEng 3 is also.) Hell, I'll bet lots of Lasever owners are doing it that way.

Adam

PS: Did you see my other post? My Lasever came back from China yesterday! So far so good re: power stability...

Did you see my other post? My Lasever came back from China yesterday! So far so good re: power stability...
    That great Adam! Is the focus fixed on yours as well? Have you put it in the projector yet?

The focus right out of the box was a lot better than it was on my last one, and yeah, they've got the adjustment barrel glued in place. I'm going to loosen the glue and tweak that lens a tad later this weekend. I'm sure I can get a better beam than I've got now, but truthfully it's not that bad. (roughly 6 mm diameter at about 20 ft)

I won't put it in the projector until after I check the beam characteristics on a really long throw (over 100 ft). Plus I want to do a longer burn-in on the unit before I re-mount it. I figure it will be next weekend (just before C-mas) before I'll get it back inside the projector.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Those terminals are common with the input plug and can be used to power the "modulator" (driver) in absence of the separate AC to DC power supply.

Also, while you can certain run a fan or two off those terminals, you can't power "whatever", because the AC to DC power supply is current-limited. You couldn't power a separate laser with it, for example.

Adam
    So both plugs are parallel. Hmmmm didn't know that. Thanx.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Yep... Makes it really convenient if you want to use a single DC power supply to run everything inside your projector. (I'm going to do that with the next revision of my projector; probably next summer some time.)

Adam

I am only feeding them with the screw terminal block. I have a total of 30 amps draw from 4 lasers...and have 40 amp , 5vdc Meanwell power supply feeding them. I have had a few issues lately in the rebuild....will disclose as the monster is removed from the projector. No fans at all...well one on a dual TEC coolerr's heat sink. That keeps the 3/8 alu plate and lasers right at 78 deg F.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

yes did it and it works perfect

thanks people
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Those terminals are all I use on the lasever units. May want to keep in mind, these drivers run at only 5V, so they take a mess of current, up to 5amps possibly. So you will want to use a wire that can handle over 5amps...
    Howdy. I was looking at this old post of yours showing your lasever unit. I just received a replacement and it looks like the one in your pic. it is black instead with no barrel. I was wondering how yours is holding up.