Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAX

Angry TAX

Just got a bill from customs for £61 to pay for the import of my FB3 kit. F~&*ing c#*$s
    What the hell do they need that for, don't these cretins get paid to do their job anyway? TAX TAX TAX, get Taxed through out your life and even when you die you get Taxed and so do your ofspring on anything that you've managed to save form the TAX man. God forbid I ever meet the TAX man, he'll be a DEAD man.

I feel sorry for you guys. We don't have those crazy taxes over here. If I were you I'd throw all of your tea into the bay.

Graham Im sure you know but this money is not TAX paid to the Inland revenue & the traditional tax man - and I dont mean Adam Hart-Davies - but is VAT & import duty paid to customs and excise. You should always expect that you will pay duty and many times you may find that you dont - which is great. Expect that you wont pay it and you will always be upset.

We all have to pay it & if you run a vehicle or drink alcohol you are paying it at a much higher rate than your import duty, and I bet the FB3 will give you a better buzz and for longer than the same value of booze

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

We all have to pay it & if you run a vehicle or drink alcohol you are paying it at a much higher rate than your import duty, and I bet the FB3 will give you a better buzz and for longer than the same value of booze
    lol, true, but why should customs and excise get it, what is it for? They all get paid a wage so why should they take such a huge chunk. And why does it depend on how much money the thing costs?

I also got some lasers on the way and worried about hte TAX on those, it's going to cripple me and was not budgeted for.

Yes they get paid a wage and they are paid to collect import duty on goods entering the country - its their job and they will not have anything against you personally. The money does not go into there sky rockets you know!
    As for the lasers you may find you will have to pay duty but then again you may not. There is no telling if a parcel will be subjected to duty and not all of them are. Their inconsistency is frustrating but it means you sometimes get a nice surprise - but only if you assume you will have to pay it.
    As I said the money will be vat and duty. The vat is obviously fixed at 17.5% (with the odd exception) the duty is some arbitary percentage that they seem to make up - again inconsistent. Before I ever imported lasers into this country I asked the C&E what duty I would expect to pay. They said they didnt know! Which was a pile of shit.
    Also this is the reason why people make misleading customs declarations as to the value. Some customs lables will state 'samples' value £10. in which case the C&E will not be interested. The downside of that is if the sender has claimed customs value of £10 on the declaration, he cant insure it for the correct ammount & if several thousand dollars of dpss goes missing - its your money down the pan not the senders - unles syou wanna argue the toss with a chinaman.
    I assume that Bill correctly declared the value on the FB3 parcel - and C&E decided it looked interesting and slapped a charge on it.
    If you cant deal with this you should not import stuff. Simple as that.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

I dont have a choice though do I. I just think it's unfair, unjustified, dont you? Are you happy paying this extortionate amount of money without being given a damb good reason what it's for?

its for import duty and VAT.
    and it is the the law of this country that imported goods have VAT and import duty applied to them.
    Thats it - they are not doing it cos they are bored and no one is trying to hide this fact.
    The only part that is not transparent is the ammount of duty you pay. This is dependant on the goods. You will pay a different percentage for car than for a box of wooden spatulas. Yes I would prefer not to pay it but I know I will have to - though sometimes a parcel will slip through (in fact quite often) and you will find that there is no VAT and duty. In this case celebrate!
    Your life will be better if you assume you will have to pay it and sometimes you are lucky that you dont.

Rob

Ok I know it's for import duty and Tax, I just done know why, I cant grasp why they take it, who's pocket am I lining. If I go into a club I expect to pay a door charge, if I go on holiday I expect to pay for the flight, if I send something throught the post I expect to pay for shipping, but what is this bloody tax for, tax for what? Who does it end up going to? The shipping compnay, govenment. I admint I don't really knwo what I'm talking about () , but it just doesnt make scene...

I suppose the reason they tax everything is partly to combat cheap imports of goods. Not lasers in particularly but anything from abroad.
    Taxing them may encourage people to buy British.

Jim