Thread: Video Software?

Default Video Software?

Hey,

Can anyone help me with the name of a GOOD video capture software?

This is what im trying to do-

i belong to netflix. through netflix i can watch videos online. what i want to do is while those videos are playing, simulatneously record the video. i saw some video capture sites on line and tried 2 of them they both sucked! 1 didnt work at all. (even after serious tweaking). and the other one recorded the audio only at 8 bit mono (unless i upgrade) and the video quality sucked anyway.

anyone know of a decent program that i can do this with? real time video/audio capturing of whats playing on my screen??

thanks in advance!

Lightbulb

Did you try the MS Moviemaker included with the OS? I found it works very well for free. Otherwise, have you tried to output to firewire to a DV camera? That would be my next try, then recapture it to your computer as an .avi. Capturing while watching may be difficult and or your quality may suffer if your computer isn't up to par. The playing and recording will be fighting for resources. Good luck either way.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

If you use firefox there's a little twirly icon next to the stop button that lets you capture video off places like youtube. Not sure how legal it is though.

tried that techsmith program. its garbage!

it wont record at a true 30 FPS frame rate. best i have gotten it to do so far i think is about 15. so obviously, slower frame rate, crappy recording and jittery!

any ideas?

Why not just download the movie?

Jim

Lightbulb

It's hard to get that dvd quality from a regular download. If I wanted it that bad, I 'd have netflix or whatever send it to me and rip it.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    It's hard to get that dvd quality from a regular download. If I wanted it that bad, I 'd have netflix or whatever send it to me and rip it.
    Not that I really condone (sp?) this activity...

Thats really the only best way to do it. You can rip a DVD or create an .ISO file, which would be the better option IMO, assuming you have the resources to burn dual-layer etc. An ISO file is just like taking a photocopy of the DVD. However, the propagation of error is much lower since it is not ripping the video real time (it can go back and correct things it f-ed up).

In some video work that I have done in the past I have always just created one master DVD then created an ISO file from that (or originally exported it to a fake DVD buring drive to make an ISO - like how printing to a PDF works).

There are also some screen vid capture programs, like the ones used to make tutorial videos (like pangolin has). But those use a lot of processing power! Running a video with it, will just result in even worse outputs.

-Max