Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's about a Cyonics ArIon laser

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Talking Its a 903 &AMN IT!

Fer crying out loud Buffo, You have a Model 903,Not a model 905. get it
    ^%$#@ing right! 903 = > then 50% more power then a 905.
    Convention says go by the head model, not the psu model.

so its a HGM 03

Steve

hahahaha...

I'm sure at some point in my life, I will understand exactly what you guys are talking about. But right now its a different language. Still funny tho.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Fer crying out loud Buffo, You have a Model 903,Not a model 905. get it
    ^%$#@ing right! 903 = > then 50% more power then a 905.
    Convention says go by the head model, not the psu model.

so its a HGM 03

Steve

Cool Buffo drops the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Fer crying out loud Buffo, You have a Model 903,Not a model 905. get it ^%$#@ing right! 903 = > then 50% more power then a 905.
    Hehe! Sorry 'bout that buddy... I'm just so used to calling it an HGM 5 that I guess the name is stuck in my head.

But you are absolutely correct (as usual!), the head is now a 903, so I should be calling it an HGM 3. (BTW, I'm still waiting for the metal head cover for that thing; did you ever find it?)

You know, I'm curious... Did they ever really sell an "HGM 3" in that configuration? (I thought the 903 tube was an experimental design that never panned out and thus wasn't offered for sale to the medical world?)

And just for grins and giggles, what sort of tube did they put into the HGM 20's? I know they were higher-power units, but I can't remember the tube specifics... Just curious... (I think Clandestiny has one tucked away in a wharehouse somewhere!)

Adam

Default Hgm Medical

model 8s get a wet scientific 905 tube 6-7 watts all lines
    model 20s get a wet scientific 920 tube, 30-40 watts all lines.

Surgica K1s get a single or pair of wet krypton power on demand tubes,

Model 5s get a 68B air cooled tube with a wider bore and shorter brewsters.

Everything else HGM medical is basically a double length 60X set up for pulsed, power on demand either water or air cooled, with the pressure set up for pulse only duty (ie low pressure compared to a cw laser)

Steve

Question More HGM questions...

Cool! Thanks for the info Steve... Unfortunately, it raises another question:

Since the 903 tube is shorter than the modified 68B that they put in the model 5, wouldn't it be rated for less power?

In fact, looking at the 903, it looks pretty close to a double-length 60X. (Well, maybe a shade longer than that, but not by much.) Does that mean the 903 tube is a lower-pressure tube as well?

Adam

PS: I should have told you earlier, but Dan is in Great Lakes at the moment, and the boy is going to be a TWIDGET!!! (Got accepted for ET "A" school, so once he's out of boot camp he'll be at main-base at Great Lakes 'til summer 2008!) Who would have thought, eh? Nuc for a father and Twidget for a son. Go figure! (At least he didn't go nuc!)

No, it doesnt have the telltale signs of a POD tube, mainly the PSU it was hooked to was a CW psu.
    It also has the fins of a CW tube. You have a 500+ mW cW argon there, pulsing up to 3 watts on demand.
    Steve

Adam

PS: I should have told you earlier, but Dan is in Great Lakes at the moment, and the boy is going to be a TWIDGET!!! (Got accepted for ET "A" school, so once he's out of boot camp he'll be at main-base at Great Lakes 'til summer 2008!) Who would have thought, eh? Nuc for a father and Twidget for a son. Go figure! (At least he didn't go nuc!)[/QUOTE]
    end quote

too bad these days its mostly card swapping and paperwork, the cool stuff is only done at depot level maint. these days :-( Still a excellent start and will pay for college.

Steve

You guys crack me up But I'm learning all the while.

I'd still like a schematic or book on this laser.

Mike

Cool

Sorry Mike, I don't have any schematics on the JDS Uniphase lasers. There's a little bit of information on them in the Laser FAQ though...

So long as you keep the temperature down and don't run up around 10 amps of tube current, you ought to be just fine with that laser. Is there something you want to change/modify on it that you're looking for the schematics for, or is it just out of curiosity? (There's a lot of general ion-laser information in the Laser FAQ that might satisfy your curiosity...)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    You guys crack me up But I'm learning all the while.

I'd still like a schematic or book on this laser.

Mike
    You and most of the world want the schemas to the cyonics/uniphase. Never been released, not a peep, cant get them. They do have nice user manuals for the remote interfaces and beam spex on the JDSU site, but thats it. NO technical data about the tube or PSU other then how to hook it up and how to set it up for the correct line voltage. Sam's faq has the reverse engineered head schematics.
    Steve