Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 400mw+ 532nm Group Buy, Animation software and galvos

I'd recommend locking this thread.

My Laserworld 250mW greeny is still going strong and I have yet to see anyone beat their prices. They now have 500's.
    A lovely childhood. Just me my mother and the voices.

He did get back to me and confirm the message. But still, i think that this whole thing you are doing is not the best approach.

I think that Buffo and a few others were wrong here. Is there any reason to get pissed at the guy in the first place? That's a horrible way to make friends and I think that if you don't want the product, don't post about it. If you do post, don't make it a rude response attacking him, be nice and tell him why you don't want them.

GreatCornholio,

If people don't want you product, don't argue it. You have pretty much lost any chance of making a sale here. If you want to get your reputation back, make some posts and prove you really are professional.

Just my $0.02
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

I think you will find that people are pissed off because it is a dealer posing as a 'joe forum member' to sell his goods. Not really on IMO.
    A lovely childhood. Just me my mother and the voices.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post

GreatCornholio, did you consider the possibility that he was saying this is not a forum comprised of lamers, and wasn't necessarily calling you one?
    No I wasn't calling him any names. What I said is that this forum made of professional and sub-professional (aka hobbyists) laserists. People here know very well what they are talking about. Trying to sell something here without proper specs and info is the same as assuming everyone here is very lame (aka lamme) and stupid. Only very few sellers were able to hold on here. Mostly because themselves are professional lasersists and laser geeks.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

ill keep mine short, im still waiting for a pic and a price if that not to much to ask for.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I think that Buffo and a few others were wrong here. Is there any reason to get pissed at the guy in the first place?
    Yeah, there is a reason to be pissed, Ben. Plenty of them, in fact. In the spirit of fair play, let me explain:

When you're the new kid on the block, you need to be humble. Even if you're a GOD in the industry, you're nobody here in the forums until you prove your worth. Some people can prove their worth quickly, while others need to hang around a while and provide some background before they're accepted.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're in a similar situation, Ben. Because of your age, some people aren't giving you all the credit you deserve. Not saying it's fair to you, but that's the way the Internet works. In time they'll come around though, but meanwhile you need to be patient, just as he (Cornholio) should have been.

Cornholio started off on the wrong foot by proposing a group buy when nobody knew who he was. (He had less than 10 posts!) Now, ask yourself: would you seriously enter into a group buy for a $500 (or greater) item with someone you didn't know and trust? Yeah, me neither. Rule # 1, your first post shouldn't be about commerce.

Then, people asked him for information about the laser he was selling. Granted, some of those questions were pointed and harsh, but again, he should have been happy that anyone was even willing to entertain the thought of buying from him based on his unknown status. And instead of toning it down and answering those questions, he goes on the offensive. Rule # 2, if you're selling something you don't get the privledge of showing your temper - EVER. No it's not exactly fair, but that's the way the world works. If you're a seller, you always need to maintain decorum, even if the buyer sounds like a jerk at first. (E-bay will teach you this lesson, if you haven't already learned it.)

And finally, you certainly don't want to start pissing on people when those same people might be the only ones that will come to your aid when things get out of hand. Rule # 3, don't ever alienate the group, because sometimes that's all you have. Things did, in fact, get out of hand, and at this point Cornholio doesn't have a friend in the world here. He may actually be an expert in the field of lasers, but no one cares anymore. All because he couldn't bother to spend some time to become a member of the community here before he started trying to sell us something.
    That's a horrible way to make friends
    Do you honestly believe that he (Cornholio) joined PhotonLexicon to make friends? What in his posts (few though they may be) suggests to you that he's here to make friends? Has he posted in any of the other forums? Has he even introduced himself to the group? Shared his experience, his interests? No. He's only talked about selling lasers, and even there the information he's provided is questionable.

Now, I have nothing against people coming here to sell us stuff. But if that's *ALL* they want to do, then they damn well better treat us like kings. Why? Because we've already got lots of other vendors here (Pangolin, Lasershowparts.com, OneStopLaserShop.com, Laser-Wave.com, etc) that are not only willing to sell us stuff at a discount, but *ALSO* participate in the forums and offer their assistance to the new memebers. (You know, they've made friends with the group...) So why would I choose to buy from someone else? I'd rather reward the people that are willing to spend some extra time helping the community grow.
    If you do post, don't make it a rude response attacking him, be nice and tell him why you don't want them.
    That's advice that Cornholio should have followed, Ben. And being the newcomer here, that goes double for him. Instead, he turned on the flames with his SECOND post. That's pretty much a record in my book. (And not in a good way.)
    GreatCornholio,
    You have pretty much lost any chance of making a sale here.
    Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say that *this* group buy thread is certainly dead. But if the guy really is an expert, and is willing to tone things down and start participating in the forums (instead of shamefully trying to milk it for a buck or two), then in time he may be able to organize a group buy. But before I'm convinced that he's trustworthy, I'll need to see more than just excuses and agression.

Adam

The way I look at it is like this, someone can quote facts and figures all day long about how good their laser units are and that information is understandably needed but without a price and a picture its all worthless, and yes maybe I could have been a little bit more subtle in my approach to the question but I don’t believe in beating around the bush, after all it was someone posting about a group buy and at the end of the day, and what is it that everyone want to know several things I would imagine personally I would ask myself these few questions
    First and foremost can the seller be trusted/ what’s the price /what does it look like/what are the spec’s/how many have they sold and with what feed back etc,etc it’s a shame really that it all went tits up maybe we could have purchased some great laser deals from the GreatCornholio but I think now we will never know, and like most of us here that work our butts of to feed this money munching hobby/job I think I can safely say that we all want the most amount of photon’s for the best price and quoting a passage in Adam’s post.
    Because we've already got lots of other vendors here (Pangolin, Lasershowparts.com, OneStopLaserShop.com, Laser-Wave.com, etc) that are not only willing to sell us stuff at a discount, but *ALSO* participate in the forums and offer their assistance to the new memebers.
    They have nothing to hide and have the experience and professionalism to go with it but most of all they participate hear in the forums where it gives the little guy like me the opportunity to ask questions and find out facts that I probably would have a job finding,
    Just my thoughts.
    Paul.

Hi dudes!

Wow...lots of reading!
    First of all, I still looking for some pictures of this mystery laser?? And a price??

Buffo, again...you roxx! I love reading youre postings.

You should become an moderator in here!!!
    Thats my .2 cents

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Cool

You know, Spec always said that we don't need moderators. A good community moderates itself, I suppose. I think that the majority of the folks here appreciate that and work to keep the need for moderators low. At one point (prior to the switch to Vbulletin) Spec talked to me about adding a moderator or two to control all the spam that was being posted, but since the switch to the new software we really haven't had many problems with spammers.

I think the forums work pretty well, even though they're unmoderated. But thanks for the vote of confidence anyway!

Adam