Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 400mw+ 532nm Group Buy, Animation software and galvos

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    You know, Spec always said that we don't need moderators. A good community moderates itself, I suppose.
    Whilst I agree with that, there have been times when a thread degenerated to insults and threats (qm2000 clone thread springs to mind). I think, locking a thread in these instances really needs to happen.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I think, since that time threads are locked. It seems that once someone posts a reply to your message, you loose all editing capability. Which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I think, since that time threads are locked. It seems that once someone posts a reply to your message, you loose all editing capability. Which is a good thing.
    Thats cool.

By locked threads, I meant no one can post...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

IDK... why bother, we're all for free speech aren't we. Besides arguments can bring up very valid points that otherwise would have never been seen.

I think arguments can be very beneficial.

However you are correct, in rare occasions threads could benefit from being locked

One thing that LaserPointerForums has found is that having mods means you have a legal responsibility to use them to delete or lock any thread that could be considered libelous or derrogatory angainst any company or person or race, etc.

They used to have mods. After trouble and lawyer fees, now they no not.

Just something to consider.

WOW, thats really interesting, I wonder how admin factors into that situation...

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    One thing that LaserPointerForums has found is that having mods means you have a legal responsibility to use them to delete or lock any thread that could be considered libelous or derrogatory angainst any company or person or race, etc.

They used to have mods. After trouble and lawyer fees, now they no not.

Just something to consider.

Lightbulb Lesson Learned or Lost?

Hey Cornholio -

Just thought you might want a perspective from a fellow 'n00b' (to PL, that is) I joined this forum about a month ago, and really, other than ILDA, this was the first forum I've ever joined (never had the time, till these last 3 months with relatively few shows) and I joined, cause of out of all the other ones I perused, it was BY FAR the liveliest I've seen. (wish ILDAs was this 'alive'...)

But I made the same mistake as you did - not quite as bad, (sheesh, dude - your FIRST post???) - but I got trounced-on pretty quick, too, for early-posting using the last four-letter-word a n00b should ever use - SELL. But I took to the point, and even got some very helpful 'constructive crit'... I DID need to revise my info to be more accurate (expressing power as the color of all-lines by saying 'x-power @ 488nm' vs saying 'x-power' is all-lines, etc...Thanks again, Adam!)

In my case, it was honestly a coincidence that we, (my Co) were listing a system for a Client on eBay, and I thought it would be 'worth a mention', being somewhat unique, etc. I did not expect people here would necessarily BUY it, but ya know, networking - maybe someone knows someone, etc...and since we already made our 'nut' off of it on some mods, there was/is little for us to personally gain off listing it here - Like you, tried to be helpful - But, sorry to tell ya - ya sort of crashed and burned your own ship, there dude. - Why? Because this is a 'lammers' forum?? Noooo, cause you 'introduced' youself by being- sorry to use your moniker like this, but- a 'Great Big Cornhole'. And I think Adams' (Buffo) last post is dead on as to why.

Example. You go to a party and someone introduces you to a friend of a friend, and he's all "HI THERE, JOHN DOE, NICE T' MEET YA - (and as he finishes shaking your hand like you grew up together or something, he moves to your side and puts his arm around your shoulder) HEY!!...where would your family or loved ones be if you died tonight, huh??!! Well lemme tell you about 'ProLife' - it will really take care of you, blah, blah, blah" - THAT guy is DEFINITELY getting his drink 'spilled' on his tie!!! - (and no offense to anyone here that sells life insurance - I hope you get my point)...NO ONE likes a 'hi-nice-to-meet-you-now-bend-over-so-I-can-sodomize-you' in the name of being 'helpful'.

If ya wanna 'help' people with your 'amazing discounts', at LEAST have the tact to simply post a "hey guys - here's something you might be interested in..532nm @ 400mW, good prices..." with a simple link to your auctions, so people can decide for themselves IF they want to avail themselves of your 'majik' - or NOT - RATHER than the first thing you do is ram your 'corncob' up everyones @$$ - and then, INSULT them??? Sorry, dude, but you cooked your own goose, there. There is nothing WRONG with the reactions you got - YOU were in the wrong. ie:
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatCornholio View Post
    I will post specs for those interested and qualified to analyze them.
    ...What an arrogant snob!! Bad form, dude! I'll BET YOU one of your lasers, there, that if we could put you in a 'chair' next to just some of the 'vets' here (ie: MixedGas, Clandestiny, Buffo, Dr Laser, The Doctor, Laserman532, YADDATRANCE, etc - just a few I could pull of the top of my head- sorry, I know there are many, many more...), they would BOIL your ass faster than you could recite the meaning of the LASER acronym. If I am wrong, I'll BUY one of your lasers and put it to test for all to see, and then people can decide their true merits. You're right - we don't know jack about you or your professed 'many years in the laser biz' so, pony-up! Share all that wealth with the PL community, don't just come a-knockin'.

Now, like other, more 'seasoned' posters tried to point out, all is not necessarily LOST (prolly THIS group buy is toast for you) - you can turn this around and redeem yourself. After all, I got 'forgiven' for my 'n00-boos' (albeit, unintentional ones) and moved on. I suggest that your very next post be, FIRST - ANSWER the QUESTIONS put to you (ignoring RFIs is not exactly championing your customer service) and then, lay-off the SALES- at most, simply 'inform', and give the highly-intelligent, seasoned PROs, here, the respect they deserve.- Down, here, in SanSal, they have a saying "no me metes la verga"- loose translation: 'don't stick your dick in my face'.

Lastly, ADD SOMETHING TRULY HELPFUL here- ie: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36317&postcount=1

So, your move Corn. You can learn and move on and grow, or, not learn and get youself cooked in the microwave. - peace!

- J
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 12-21-2007 at 01:05.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'm not sure what polarization ratio is, but on a laser I ordered it's > 100:1

Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    I'm not sure what polarization ratio is, but on a laser I ordered it's > 100:1
    Means the ratio of polarization on one axis is at least 100:1 to the other axis. Basically, bigger the ratio, better the polarization.

What is true polarization ratio? Is 100:1 the max?