Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me out with this RGB laser purchase

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This is true. What we found at SELEM and FLEM meets, is that 635nm appears about 5 times brighter than 660nm. So, you can consider 200mW of 635 appears as bright as about a watt of 660nm...
    With 300mw of 660nm in the "200mw Blue, 500mw Green and 300mw Red" ratio's, yes the red will be very weak if 660. I was just sticking up for the wavelength a bit

DZ, (sorry elvis, this isn't helpful to you and a bit off topic, but while we're on the subject) 5:1 may be accurate given the powered lasers you compared in the conditions at SELEM, but when you up the power the comparison chart for red at this wavelength changes massively under certain conditions, mainly when you increase the throw distance and density of smoke in the air.

I saw a RGY recently in a fairly smoke filled club with 2.5watts 664nm mixed with just over 1watt of 532nm, and at ~25m concluded that the red was actually brighter than the green, it punched it's way through the smoke better. Projecting the same lasers close up onto a screen, the green is stronger, not by as much as you would think though but the yellow is a bit limey. Then scanning outside in very light fog, the green is very visible and the red very dim next to it.

Pit8ull;

Remember that we're not talking about beams here. Elvis wants the projector for a graphics show on a scrim. In this case, DZ is correct; 500 mw of 635 nm red will be fine, but 500 mw of 660nm would be way too dim.

In any case, the non-linearity you're speaking of really comes into play with multi-watt beams. Since this whole projector is under a watt (total), the standard chart for color response applies.

Elvis;

As to whether the projector is appropriate for the intended use - I have a few reservations. One, it's TTL only, and you really want analog blanking for graphics. (Beamshows work OK with TTL, but you want those extra colors and shades for your graphics.) Two, the beam diameter of that 635 nm laser is probably going to be a LOT larger than the other two, and that will make the graphics look funny.

See how much extra it would cost to get analog blanking, and ask some pointed questions about beam diameter and divergence for all three lasers.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    See how much extra it would cost to get analog blanking, and ask some pointed questions about beam diameter and divergence for all three lasers.
    I'd have to second this

If you want to come back here with the results, we'll be happy to interpret them to you, if you need help there too.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I saw a RGY recently in a fairly smoke filled club with 2.5watts 664nm mixed with just over 1watt of 532nm, and at ~25m concluded that the red was actually brighter than the green, it punched it's way through the smoke better. Projecting the same lasers close up onto a screen, the green is stronger, not by as much as you would think though but the yellow is a bit limey. Then scanning outside in very light fog, the green is very visible and the red very dim next to it.
    Hmmm this is interesting, it is after all the reason why the sky is blue, and sunsets are red

Never thought it would be applicable to a club atmosphere...

Did I accidentally start the beating of a very dead horse. I'm very sorry
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I'm sorry for adding my ramblings to your thread Elvis

Default info

Just had a telephonic discussion with the manufacturer.He told the red is 635nm.I asked for few sample videos using this very projector but he said he has none.So i really dont know the output from this projector.Plus the fact is here in INDIA i dont have access to single laser projector manufacturer who can show some demo.Really dont know how to proceed further with my selection of laser projector?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Pit8ull;

Remember that we're not talking about beams here. Elvis wants the projector for a graphics show on a scrim. In this case, DZ is correct; 500 mw of 635 nm red will be fine, but 500 mw of 660nm would be way too dim.

In any case, the non-linearity you're speaking of really comes into play with multi-watt beams. Since this whole projector is under a watt (total), the standard chart for color response applies.

Elvis;

As to whether the projector is appropriate for the intended use - I have a few reservations. One, it's TTL only, and you really want analog blanking for graphics. (Beamshows work OK with TTL, but you want those extra colors and shades for your graphics.) Two, the beam diameter of that 635 nm laser is probably going to be a LOT larger than the other two, and that will make the graphics look funny.

Adam

Smile

Have you tried contacting the Pangolin dealer in India? Here's there info from the Pangolin Website:

Reynold's Sound & Lighting Services Pvt. Ltd
    30, Richmond Road,Bangalore - 560 025. +91-80-22215663 / 22218651 / 22292047Fax : +91-80-22292048, E-mail: reynold_blr@vsnl.com, Web: www.reynoldonline.com, Contact: Felix Remedios

I imagine Felix would be able to offer you considerable assistance, not to mention a demo or two. I suggest you give him a call and see if he's willing to help.

Adam

For already made laser projectors I recommend KVANT (http://www.lasershow.sk) For controller I recommend ether Lasergraph DSP or Pangolin.

Cool

The 2.5 watt Spectrum 2000 unit they sell looks damn nice...

They don't have any prices on the website though.

Adam

2.5W Spectrum 2000 - 19k EUR with CT galvos... 17k EUR with LM.

Hmmm.... I think I'm being too ambitious here.